Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higgs String

1. Aug 2, 2004 #1
    In which of the String theory does the Higgs-'particle-force', dwell?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2004 #2
    I do not understand the role of the Higgs particle in superstring theory.
    Given that the mass of a particle in superstring theory depends on the vibrational pattern of the string, why do you want a Higgs particle? (It gives masses to other particles in the Standard Model)
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  4. Aug 8, 2004 #3
    A photon is said to have no mass. But what if a photon lives in a field of photon-sized particles? So that its mass is the same as the mass of space? (What if space itself has mass?)

Okay, but, Higgs particles address the fact that particles in objects that should not have mass do have mass. What if photons have mass as well? But their mass is the same as the mass of a "particle of space"? A Higgs particle is a particle inside a molecule or atom that would permeate the atom and neutralize the mass of a particle that is supposed to be massless.

The field density of objects and space has to be different, that is, the makeup of the space inside atoms and empty space has to be different. Using a "field density" that we expect to find in space we measure a particle in an object that is supposed to be massless, and it has mass. So the Higgs Field would be a field of particles inside an atom or molecule that has the same value as the carrier of the electro weak force: the way a photon, which might have mass as well, might be the same weight or value as space itself.
  5. Aug 9, 2004 #4
    This has to be the most amazing response to any one of my questions, a question that has the least amount of handwaving, even though I had pondered how I could ask a specific question, but in a subtle way, congratulations!

I will return with a specific line of thought and reasoning of where and how I came to ask such a simple question, in the meantime I commend your intuitive and precise response.

In the meantime another post that conspires to ellude:https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=25826
    [posting #7]

Edited for reference to link
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?