Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Higgsinos are stuck together

1. Apr 26, 2005 #1
    The following is an old article from 1986: http://www.frc.ri.cmu.edu/~hpm/project.archive/general.articles/1986/dense.ltx

I've been told that Supersymmetry theory has changed a bit since the article was written. Under the new theory + - higgsinos are stuck together and they in turn are part of neutralinos. Not being a particle physicist myself and only as smart as what I understand on wikipedia.com ; I ask do you know if making higgsinium could still be possible under the current theory, if there really are higgsinos and all those other still hypothetical particles?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2005 #2
    Well, if we assume that the Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model is correct (a very big assumption!) then Higgsinos will be there. The charged ones will interfere quantum mechanically with themselves and the charged winos to give charginos, and the neutral ones will interfere along with the zino and photino to form neutralinos.

Let's assume this mixing is very small, so the two charged Higgsinos remain more-or-less unchanged.

As for making a 'higgsinium', I suppose it would be possible, although to create a +/- Higgsino pair at the same time would require a huge particle accelerator, since they would have very large mass (probably at least twice the Z mass- each!). If you could get the things into a bound state, it would appear as a resonance in detector cross-sections, not a new particle leaving the detector, as both the higgsinos would be extremely unstable.

They certainly wouldn't hang around long enough to use them to promote fusion like the article suggests.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?