High Altitude Balloon Payload Heat Transfer

In summary, the conversation involves a request for help in setting up a heat transfer model to determine the battery duty cycle required for a high altitude balloon payload to maintain a controlled temperature. The problem was experienced in a previous flight due to cold temperatures and unknown causes. The temperature trends during the flight are described, and a simple heat exchanger is proposed as a solution. The individual is seeking assistance in creating a mathematical model to solve the problem numerically, and mentions the option of just implementing the heat exchanger and observing the results. The conversation also references a post-flight report and a video linked to a summary page.
busadriver
I would like eventually compute the battery duty cycle required to keep a high altitude balloon payload somewhat temperature controlled. On my last flight I failed the GPS tracker due to unknown cause (maybe CTE). At any rate the cold temperatures are not good for components, accelerometer biases, GPS receivers...
Link to the post flight report shows altitude and temperature vs. time. http://busadriver.com/NTNS-3%20130316/NTNS-3%20Postflight%20Analyses%20130329.pdf
Temperature trends are that the payload heats up, gradually cools well above what would be isentropic expansion until apogee. Then there is a steep drop in temperature as the plane initially descends at 20k ft/min. This is typical of HAB payloads and what I'm concerned about.
I need help in setting up a heat transfer model so that the ascent or decent can be modeled. I simple heat exchanger can be incorporated to heat the air as it comes back in on decent if I can determine if it's feasible to do any good within a reasonable power budget.
The problem appears to the H2 tank expansion thread on this forum, but not quite. I'm assuming that I have internal heat generation, a significant thermal mass in both electronics and wiring and walls, isentropic expansion, cold air that enters on descent and the heat exchanger operating on that air. The heat exchanger could be as simple as a heated aluminum vent tube of adequate length.
I think this can be solved numerically if I had the governing equation(s). Any help would be appreciated.
BTW, the video is linked to the summary page.
Of course the other option is to just put in the heat exchanger, turn it on on descent and see what happends. I'd like to model it 1st.
Regards,
Larry G

Science news on Phys.org
To solve this problem numerically, you will need to create a mathematical model that can capture the relevant physics of the system. This will involve modeling the heat transfer between the payload and its environment, as well as accounting for the internal heating sources of the payload. In addition, you will need to consider the effects of isentropic expansion on the temperature of the payload. Once you have created your model, you can use numerical methods such as finite element analysis or finite difference methods to solve it. Finally, you can use the data from your simulations to determine the battery duty cycle required to keep the payload temperature under control.

1. What is High Altitude Balloon Payload Heat Transfer?

High Altitude Balloon Payload Heat Transfer refers to the process of heat transfer that occurs within the payload of a high altitude balloon as it travels through different atmospheric layers.

2. Why is understanding heat transfer important for high altitude balloon payloads?

Understanding heat transfer is important for high altitude balloon payloads because extreme temperature changes can occur during the flight, which can affect the functionality and reliability of the payload equipment.

3. What factors influence heat transfer in high altitude balloon payloads?

The main factors that influence heat transfer in high altitude balloon payloads are the altitude, atmospheric conditions, and the materials used in the construction of the payload.

4. How can heat transfer be controlled in high altitude balloon payloads?

Heat transfer can be controlled in high altitude balloon payloads through the use of insulation materials, heat sinks, and proper placement of equipment within the payload. Thermal modeling and analysis can also be used to optimize the design and placement of components to minimize heat transfer.

5. What are some potential challenges of heat transfer in high altitude balloon payloads?

Some potential challenges of heat transfer in high altitude balloon payloads include extreme temperature fluctuations, thermal stress on equipment, and the potential for equipment failure due to overheating or freezing. It is important for scientists to carefully consider and address these challenges in the design and construction of high altitude balloon payloads.