Can Strong Winds Cause High Building Windows to Open Outward?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Bernoulli's equation to determine the direction of force on a window due to a difference in pressure between the outside (caused by wind) and the inside (atmospheric pressure). There is a disagreement on the proper application of Bernoulli's equation in this scenario.
Gyroscope

Homework Statement

This is one more problem I made to entertain myself.

I am at the highest floor of a building near a window. There is strong wind outside.
The pressure inside is approximately the atmospheric pressure, but outside it is less because the air is flowing, so by Bernoulli's equation it must be at a lower pressure.
Therefore, there is a difference in pressure between the outside and the inside, which creates an outward net force on the window, so will it open outward and not inward as intuition states. Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would the pressure be less on the outside of the window? There are two components to the external pressure in this case, the static atmospheric pressure and the dynamic pressure caused by the wind. The static is opposed from the inside, but not the dynamic. Do you have an eqn for dynamic pressure?
John

Applying Bernoulli to points A (outside) and B(inside):

P_A + 1/2ρv^2=P_B

But P_B=P_atm. So:

P_A=P_atm - 1/2ρv^2, ρ is the density of air.

So the windows should pop out. Right?

I don't think this is a proper use of Bernoulli's since the two systems are not in contact.

The force of the outside is represented correctly however as is the sum of the dynamic and static pressures, as is the inside. so Pa-Pb=1/2Pv^2, ie from substitution and the following,

Pa=atm plus 1/2Pv^2
pb=atm

If you actually go in a tall building you can watch the large glass window panels flex both in and out.
So the direction would depend on the flex state at the point of failure.
I would think turbulence plays a major role here.

Since I've seen an example of one failing, I stay away from them when they start to get major deflections.

NoTime said:
If you actually go in a tall building you can watch the large glass window panels flex both in and out.
So the direction would depend on the flex state at the point of failure.
I would think turbulence plays a major role here.

Since I've seen an example of one failing, I stay away from them when they start to get major deflections.

No doubt, but I don't think this is what Gyro's ? was about. I was assuming a constant wind perpendicular to the window which should bend it it, now gusting, aerodynamic flutter, the elasticity of the mount, and mother nature might well conspire to cause it to break out.

So, i can't apply Bernoulli's to this situation?

It happens that I found an exercise in Physics for scientists and engineers by Serway, which is exactly similar to this, and they apply Bernoulli to points outside and inside the building. I do not know what to believe :S , maybe I need to make some experiments. :)

No I think I might have misled you in some respects because I'm used to seeing it used mostly in the context of a contiuous stream. If you scroll down about 2/3'rds the page I linked, you will see the solution for stagnation pressure which applies here.

What is the purpose of high building windows?

High building windows serve multiple purposes, including providing natural light, ventilation, and views of the surrounding area. They also play a crucial role in the overall aesthetic and design of the building.

How are high building windows designed to withstand strong winds and other natural forces?

High building windows are designed to withstand high winds and other natural forces through the use of structural support, such as reinforced frames and materials. They also undergo rigorous testing to ensure their durability and safety.

What materials are commonly used in high building windows?

Some common materials used in high building windows include glass, aluminum, steel, and composite materials. These materials are chosen for their strength, durability, and aesthetic appeal.

What are some common safety features in high building windows?

High building windows often have safety features such as tempered or laminated glass, which is designed to break into small, less dangerous pieces in case of breakage. They may also have sensors or alarms to detect any potential hazards.

How do high building windows contribute to energy efficiency?

High building windows play a crucial role in energy efficiency by allowing natural light to enter the building, reducing the need for artificial lighting. They can also be designed with insulation and energy-efficient coatings to help regulate temperature and reduce energy consumption.