High CFM Fan Airfoil: Expert Guide

In summary: It is also possible that the use of stator in high CFM fans is more cost effective because the blades can be made lighter and smaller.Looks like volume saving. Twin rotor would require thicker case to keep both sets of plastic blades rigid enough.Does one really need the stator if one if just blowing air?
HotFurnace
Hi airfoil experts,

I brought two high speed fan for magnetron cooling, and upon destroying one due to my mishandling of the stuff, I found out these fan have surprising nice airfoil. See the pictures and you will understand their construction.

The rotor part looks just like a normal air flow computer fan, but in addition, there is a stator part, right behind the rotor. I think it is for conversion of the circumferential component of the velocity into axial component, but if is so then why don't they use this design instead? (see the animated gif)

And why manufacturer decided not to incorporate a stator airfoil in addition to the rotor's in a usual computer fan? They seem to reserve the stator for high CFM fan only, but even then some still don't have them. For cost saving maybe?

Attachments

• IMG_20191102_223508.jpg
    IMG_20191102_223508.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20191102_223552.jpg
    IMG_20191102_223552.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 178
  • Axial_compressor.gif
    Axial_compressor.gif
    129.2 KB · Views: 209
Physics news on Phys.org
Cost and effort, probably.

HotFurnace said:
And why manufacturer decided not to incorporate a stator airfoil in addition to the rotor's in a usual computer fan? They seem to reserve the stator for high CFM fan only, but even then some still don't have them. For cost saving maybe?
Looks like volume saving. Twin rotor would require thicker case to keep both sets of plastic blades rigid enough.

Does one really need the stator if one if just blowing air?
So what if there is a swirl to air.

Likes russ_watters
HotFurnace said:
Hi airfoil experts,

I brought two high speed fan for magnetron cooling, and upon destroying one due to my mishandling of the stuff, I found out these fan have surprising nice airfoil. See the pictures and you will understand their construction.

The rotor part looks just like a normal air flow computer fan, but in addition, there is a stator part, right behind the rotor. I think it is for conversion of the circumferential component of the velocity into axial component, but if is so then why don't they use this design instead? (see the animated gif)

The configuration (in gif image) posted is likely or ideally used in gas turbine/aircraft engines since the air passes through a series of rotor and stator eventually achieving a better pressure ratio for the combustion, here in this fan using that kind of configuration will make it bulkier and obviously increases the cost. Adding a stator at the end guides the flow, they act like guide vanes.

1. What is a high CFM fan airfoil?

A high CFM fan airfoil is a type of airfoil specifically designed for use in high-volume air movement applications, such as industrial ventilation systems or large-scale cooling systems. It is designed to efficiently move large volumes of air at a high velocity, while minimizing energy consumption and noise levels.

2. How does a high CFM fan airfoil differ from a standard airfoil?

A high CFM fan airfoil is typically larger and has a more curved shape compared to a standard airfoil. This allows it to generate higher levels of lift and thrust, which is necessary for moving large volumes of air at high speeds. It also has a thicker cross-section, which helps to reduce turbulence and improve overall efficiency.

3. What are the benefits of using a high CFM fan airfoil?

Using a high CFM fan airfoil can provide several benefits, including increased energy efficiency, improved airflow and ventilation, and reduced noise levels. It can also help to reduce operating costs and maintenance requirements, as well as improve the overall performance and lifespan of the fan system.

4. How do I choose the right high CFM fan airfoil for my application?

Choosing the right high CFM fan airfoil depends on several factors, such as the specific airflow and pressure requirements, the size and design of the fan system, and the desired energy efficiency. It is important to consult with an expert or conduct thorough research to ensure you select the most suitable airfoil for your specific needs.

5. Are there any maintenance requirements for high CFM fan airfoils?

Like any other mechanical component, high CFM fan airfoils require regular maintenance to ensure optimal performance and longevity. This may include cleaning, lubrication, and inspection for any signs of wear or damage. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations and schedule routine maintenance checks to keep the airfoil in good working condition.