How to Configure a Power System for High Current and Low Voltage Demands?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the configuration of a power system for a furnace that requires very high current of 50KAmps and low voltage of 100 volts. The individual is seeking advice on how to configure the system and mentions plans to use a transformer with thyristors. They also mention their familiarity with smaller power systems but acknowledge the need for expertise in dealing with such high levels of electricity. The advice given is to seek help from an engineering firm or qualified professionals.
Jhon Paul
I have to configure a power system for a furnace which demands very high current of the order of 50KAmps with low voltage of the order of 100 volts.

Can anyone help me to get insight into how to configure the power system in boarder way.

I am planning to use a transformer with thyristors .

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jhon Paul said:
I have to configure a power system for a furnace which demands very high current of the order of 50KAmps with low voltage of the order of 100 volts.

Can anyone help me to get insight into how to configure the power system in boarder way.

That's a lot of power to be dealing with for the first time, Jhon! How did you end up with this assignment if you have not worked with such systems in the past? What kind of systems have you worked with so far? What regulatory permits and inspections are required for this industrial system? What do you need to do with your company's insurance carrier to get the final system signed off?

Whoa! That is a huge current. In power plants, we use isolated phase bus ducts for half that much current.

Interrupting such currents is very difficult. If not done right, the fire and explosion can destroy the whole facility and kill people.

This is not a topic to ask strangers about on an Internet forum.

Likes Asymptotic and berkeman
Well presently I am using a power supply with 3KAmps under 30 volts. So though I don't claim I have the expertise on power system but yes I am familiar with the stuff. Next I am just looking on the architecture not to build the power system. Thats why I just mentioned if anyone have knowledge of bigger power unit can reply. back.

Jhon Paul said:

My advice is to contact an engineering firm with the requisite experience. Your application is outside of mine, but a lot of detail work goes into building a successful 5 MVA power controller.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
Jhon Paul said:
Well presently I am using a power supply with 3KAmps under 30 volts. So though I don't claim I have the expertise on power system but yes I am familiar with the stuff. Next I am just looking on the architecture not to build the power system. Thats why I just mentioned if anyone have knowledge of bigger power unit can reply. back.
That is an enormous amount of electricity. Designing and working on such systems requires licensed electricians and electrical engineers. Please find qualified people to do this work for you. Thread locked.

Likes Asymptotic, davenn and berkeman

1. What is considered high current and low voltage?

High current is typically defined as anything above 1 ampere (A), while low voltage is usually considered to be anything below 50 volts (V).

2. What are the applications of high current low voltage?

High current low voltage is commonly used in electronics, such as in power supplies for computers and other devices. It is also used in welding, battery charging, and electric vehicles.

3. What are the risks associated with high current low voltage?

The main risk associated with high current low voltage is electrical shock, which can be deadly. It is important to handle these currents with caution and use proper safety measures when working with them.

4. How can high current low voltage be converted to high voltage low current?

This can be achieved using a transformer, which can step up or step down the voltage depending on the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils. This allows for efficient transmission of electricity over long distances.

5. Is high current low voltage more efficient than low current high voltage?

It depends on the application. High current low voltage is generally more efficient for short distance transmission, while low current high voltage is more efficient for long distance transmission. However, both have their advantages and disadvantages and the most efficient option will vary depending on the specific situation.