1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High-Energy Approximation

1. Jan 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that, for an extremely relativistic particle, the particle speed u differs from the speed of light c by
    $$ c - u = (\frac {c} {2}) (\frac {m_0 c^2} {E} )^2, $$ in which ##E## is the total energy.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not sure what equations are relevant. This problem was listed at the end of a chapter that included:
    $$ m = \gamma m_0, $$
    $$ p = \gamma m_0 u, $$
    $$ E = m_0 c^2 + K, $$
    $$ E^2 = (pc)^2 + (m_0 c^2)^2, $$
    $$ dE/dp = u = \frac {pc^2} {E}. $$

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried to combine/manipulate the above equations into the desired expression, or something similar that I could then use a high-speed approximation on, but I've had no luck. A hint to get me going would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you show us what you tried instead of saying "a few things"?

Clearly, you will not get the expression directly since it is a high speed approximation. You will need to extract u from somewhere and then use that some quantity is much smaller than another quantity in the relevant limit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted