High Energy Gamma Rays: Interaction w/ Matter

In summary, the NIST website provides databases for photon interaction cross sections with elemental targets and compounds, including energies up to 100 GeV. There are also papers and references available for further research on interactions of high energy gamma rays, such as Compton scattering, pair production, and photo-neutron reactions. However, there is still limited information on interactions above 100 MeV, and more research is needed in this area.
mathman
Science Advisor
Is there any on-line reference which describes the interaction of high energy (> 100 Mev) gamma rays with matter. These are gamma rays from gamma ray bursts, etc. in contrast to low energy from nuclear radiation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what you are looking for, but the NIST website has a bunch of databases of photon interaction cross sections with elemental targets and compounds.

http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/contents-xray.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
The nist data is for nuclear radiation gamma rays (up to about 10 Mev). It does not have anything for 100 Mev and higher.

The Astronuc references describe the sources of these (cosmic origin) gamma rays, but not the interactions, such as the nist data for the nuclear radiation.

Mt gut feeling is that no one has worked it out in detail. I suspect the principal reactions are Compton scattering and pair production. The main difference from nuclear radiation is that the pair production might give pairs other than electron-positron, since there is much more energy available.

mathman said:
The nist data is for nuclear radiation gamma rays (up to about 10 Mev). It does not have anything for 100 Mev and higher.

This is incorrect.

From the NIST website:
NIST said:
This paper describes a web program called XCOM which carries out this task quickly for any element, compound or mixture, at energies between 1 keV and 100 GeV.

You can run the XCOM software through your browser and get both text data and plots.

In addition, in the link I posted it has the bibliography of photon attenuation experiments. The energy range covered is from 10 eV to 13.5 GeV.

Last edited:
Norman
You're right. I looked at it too quickly. Most of the references are for nuclear energy gamma rays, which I was already aware of. I missed the references you cited. Thank you.

Last edited:
mathman said:

The Astronuc references describe the sources of these (cosmic origin) gamma rays, but not the interactions, such as the nist data for the nuclear radiation.

Mt gut feeling is that no one has worked it out in detail. I suspect the principal reactions are Compton scattering and pair production. The main difference from nuclear radiation is that the pair production might give pairs other than electron-positron, since there is much more energy available.
I looked at the NIST data, and it seemed that they were extrapolating much above 100 MeV. I'm not sure how they get 1 GeV (and greater) gammas, but I'll have to look closer.

I know the papers/sources didn't elaborate on the interactions, but I figured one could contact the authors who would hopefully know the interactions or someone who does, or at least where one can find such a discussion.

I believe Compton and pair-production are the reactions, and I think I saw one mention of muon pair-production - at very high energies of course (> 2(105.7 MeV) = 211.4 MeV).

Of course, there could be photo-neutron interactions as well, e.g. photo-disintegration of deuterons.

You all are correct. The most dominant effect is pair production, which begets more pairs, etc., called an electromagnetic cascade. Compton scattering dominates below about 10 MeV, but pair production dominates above say 20 MeV. The maximum of the electromagnetic cascade is usually several radiation lengths from the start, and trails off after maybe 15 radiation lengths. The shower is roughly half photons and half electrons. Positrons can annihilate in flight and produce two more gammas.The radiation length in air is about 37.15 grams per cm^3.
In addition, there are two photo-neutron reactions in nitrogen and oxygen; (gamm,n) in nitrogen leads to a free neutron and N^13, and (gamma,n) in oxygen leads to a free neutron and O^15. These reactions peak at about 12-15 MeV with a cross section of roughly 15 barns. The threshold may be about 6 or 8 MeV.

Astronuc said:
I looked at the NIST data, and it seemed that they were extrapolating much above 100 MeV. I'm not sure how they get 1 GeV (and greater) gammas, but I'll have to look closer.
At the lab we get them from coherent bremsstrahlung in a crystal, and bending out the electrons. Coherent gammas come in sharp peak, and they can also be polarized.

1. How do high energy gamma rays interact with matter?

High energy gamma rays can interact with matter in three main ways: photoelectric effect, Compton scattering, and pair production. In the photoelectric effect, a gamma ray photon is completely absorbed by an atom, causing an electron to be ejected. In Compton scattering, the gamma ray photon collides with an electron, transferring some of its energy and changing direction. Pair production occurs when a gamma ray photon has enough energy to produce an electron and a positron (anti-electron) pair.

2. What materials are most effective at stopping high energy gamma rays?

High energy gamma rays are best stopped by dense materials such as lead, concrete, or thick layers of water or metal. These materials have a high atomic number, which means they have more protons in their nuclei, making them better at interacting with gamma rays.

3. Can high energy gamma rays be used for medical purposes?

Yes, high energy gamma rays can be used in medical treatments. They can be directed at cancer cells to damage their DNA, preventing them from multiplying and causing tumors to shrink. This is known as radiotherapy and is a common treatment for cancer.

4. How do scientists detect high energy gamma rays?

Scientists use specialized instruments called gamma ray detectors to detect and measure high energy gamma rays. These detectors use materials such as crystals or gas chambers that emit light or electrical signals when they are hit by gamma rays. The signals are then analyzed and used to create images or graphs of the gamma rays.

5. What are some natural sources of high energy gamma rays?

High energy gamma rays can be produced naturally by several sources, including supernovas, black holes, and pulsars. They can also be emitted by the Sun during solar flares and by lightning during thunderstorms. In addition, gamma rays can be produced by cosmic ray interactions with the Earth's atmosphere.