High-Energy Photon: What Happens?

In summary, it is not clear what the problem is with photons with a wavelength smaller than the Planck length. It is possible that some interesting new physics will appear at that length scale, but it is unknown at this point.
Tumorsito
Ok guys, so let's suppose we have a mass of 1kg.
We can calculate the energy that matter could deliver. E=mc², roughly 10^8c. Supposing this energy was delivered from a photon (supposing it exists such a processus that could delivery such energy in a single photon), we can calculate the wavelength corresponding. More or less 2x10^-42. Which is less than the Planck length . My question is, (i just started a physics degree so I don't have that much knowledge), when this photon will be produced, what will happen? Space between wavelength is smaller than PL.

Science news on Phys.org
Hi T, :welcome:

Don't get carried away -- there are a few rules that need to be satisfied. But ##c^2## in Si units is an awful lot of energy, that's for sure. If it's real, your high-energy photon simply propagates until it encounters something ...

BvU said:
Hi T, :welcome:

Don't get carried away -- there are a few rules that need to be satisfied. But ##c^2## in Si units is an awful lot of energy, that's for sure. If it's real, your high-energy photon simply propagates until it encounters something ...
Yes, we are ok for saying it's a lot lot of energy, but just in the case we have a photon this energetic, how could it exists if it has a wavelength less big than pl.

By (at least local) Lorentz invariance, the wavelength of a photon can be anything, either much larger or smaller than the Planck length. After all, if you emit a photon in my direction, I can boost to a very fast (close to the speed of light) velocity where the photon wavelength becomes arbitrarily small. Anything preventing me from doing so would violate local Lorentz invariance.

It is not clear to me what your problem is with photons with such a small wavelength unless you believe that local Lorentz invariance fails, in which case you should specify what theory you propose to replace what is currently accepted.

Tumorsito said:
how could it exists if it has a wavelength less big than pl.
You may have been victimized by the common misconception that the Planck length is the smallest possible length, sort of the "pixel size" of the universe. This misconception is so common that we even have an Insights article about it: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/hand-wavy-discussion-planck-length/

Nonetheless it is possible likely that some interesting new physics will appear at that length scale. The Planck length is many orders of magnitude smaller than any of our experiments can reach so anything anyone says about what that interesting new physics might be is complete guesswork. All we can say now is that based on what we know now there's nothing wrong with photons whose wavelength is smaller than the Planck length... but it wouldn't be amazing to find that when we know more we'll have a different answer.

Likes Dale
Ok ty everybody for your awnsers. I think it's what Nugatory said. Didnt knew that, thanks for sharing!

1. What is a high-energy photon?

A high-energy photon is a type of particle that travels at the speed of light and carries a large amount of energy. It is a type of electromagnetic radiation, also known as a gamma ray, and has a very short wavelength.

2. How is a high-energy photon created?

High-energy photons are created through a process called "pair production," where a high-energy particle collides with a lower-energy particle, such as an electron, and produces two new particles: a high-energy photon and its antiparticle. This process is commonly observed in high-energy environments, such as near black holes or in particle accelerators.

3. What happens when a high-energy photon interacts with matter?

When a high-energy photon interacts with matter, it can transfer its energy to the particles in the matter, causing them to move and vibrate. This can result in various effects, such as heating up the matter or causing chemical reactions. If the energy is high enough, it can also cause ionization, where electrons are stripped from atoms, resulting in charged particles.

4. How are high-energy photons detected?

High-energy photons can be detected using specialized equipment, such as gamma ray detectors or particle detectors. These devices are designed to measure the energy and direction of the photons and can be used to study high-energy events and processes in the universe.

5. What are the potential applications of high-energy photons?

High-energy photons have many potential applications in fields such as medicine, industry, and research. In medicine, they can be used for cancer treatment through a process called "radiation therapy." In industry, they can be used to sterilize equipment and materials. In research, they can be used to study the properties of matter and the universe, as well as develop new technologies, such as particle accelerators.