1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High Fidelity 2 Axis Gyro

1. Aug 22, 2013 #1
    I want to model a free 2 axis free gyro. I used to have a very detailed model, but cannot find it. It was cross coupled, and included many disturbance torques. All I am looking for is a great source on this topic. Thanks!

Mike

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2014 #2
    Hi again. I have managed to put together a gyro model that incorporates all of the classical effects/properties. The flywheel is a magnet so I can spin it and precess it with electromagnetic fields. Works great!

But now I am stuck. Imagine that the axis which the flywheel spins on comes into contact with something (a stop). This is done to keep the gyro pitching and yawing within a limited range. What happens when the non-rotating axis touches the stop? How to model? Clearly, if the gyro was precessing (in pitch), then the pitch body rotation will come to a stop. I am looking for a realistic way to model this.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook