Transformers for High Frequency: Size and Step-Up Ratio Considerations

In summary, when considering transformers for high frequency applications, size and step-up ratio are important considerations. The size of the transformer should be optimized for the specific frequency and power level, as larger transformers can lead to increased losses and decreased efficiency. Additionally, the step-up ratio should be carefully chosen to meet the desired output voltage while also taking into account the limitations of the transformer's core material and insulation. Proper sizing and selection of the step-up ratio are crucial for achieving optimal performance in high frequency transformer applications.
m718
How small can I make a transformer and still get 1:30 or preferably higher step-up ratio ?
I have been reading a lot about transformers and I know using higher frequency will reduce the size, and I need to use ferrite core for high frequency. I don't want to use really high frequency, probably up to 2Mhz. The size limit is 0.5 cm2, input voltage is
6-10v from button cell batteries. What shape core should I use and what kind of winding scheme?

Engineering news on Phys.org
m718 said:
How small can I make a transformer and still get 1:30 or preferably higher step-up ratio ?
I have been reading a lot about transformers and I know using higher frequency will reduce the size, and I need to use ferrite core for high frequency. I don't want to use really high frequency, probably up to 2Mhz. The size limit is 0.5 cm2, input voltage is
6-10v from button cell batteries. What shape core should I use and what kind of winding scheme?

How are you chopping the DC input? Is this like a little mini-flyback or mini-forward converter? How much power are you looking to convert?

berkeman said:
How are you chopping the DC input? Is this like a little mini-flyback or mini-forward converter? How much power are you looking to convert?

A sine wave generator circuit before the transformer For the dc and the power output about 10 microwatt. What is the difference between a flyback and a forward converter?. What ever type of transformer doesn't matter the only thing is it must be in .5 cm2 and 1:30 ratio or higher.

m718 said:
A sine wave generator circuit before the transformer For the dc and the power output about 10 microwatt. What is the difference between a flyback and a forward converter?. What ever type of transformer doesn't matter the only thing is it must be in .5 cm2 and 1:30 ratio or higher.

The most efficient transformer would be a toroidal transformer, but as you can see from this thread, they are not easy to wind (especially with a 30:1 ratio):

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=130135&highlight=toroid

Next up would be something like a small pot core transformer. You would wind your two windings on the bobbin, and clamp the pot core around it.

What is the application? What do you need 300Vac at 10mW for?

m718 said:
As I vaguely recall, it is preferable to avoid ratios that high and use multiple stages instead. Perhaps someone with more recent experience can confirm, but vaguely some of the problems with high ratios include:
-keeping the turns down in the primary to avoid high turns in the secondary makes the design very sensitive to winding technique and materials used.
-difficulties in meeting material safety voltage isolation between pri/sec windings.
-some xformer parasitics are directly proportional to turn count.

I know plenty of manufactured cores with high ratios exist, but I believe they directly address these issues, with potted cores, etc, i.e. things you'll want to avoid.

Berkeman did ask what the application was for and I didn't follow the answer if there was one, except that the power was low.

You might find a ready made trigger or pulse transformer adequate for your needs for example

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2298

Or you might find that stripping out the ferrite transformer from a redundant computer power supply might also do.

Studiot said:
Berkeman did ask what the application was for and I didn't follow the answer if there was one, except that the power was low.

You might find a ready made trigger or pulse transformer adequate for your needs for example

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2298

Or you might find that stripping out the ferrite transformer from a redundant computer power supply might also do.

I will look into those they look exactly like what I need but since they are used for camera flash I wonder if they can operate continuously.

m718 said:
I will look into those they look exactly like what I need but since they are used for camera flash I wonder if they can operate continuously.

Can you say what your application is?

I'm using it to generate electrostatic like when you touch a car and get a small shock.
Power needs to be very small like the natural electrostatic so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm using it to generate electrostatic like when you touch a car and get a small shock.
Power needs to be very small like the natural electrostatic so that shouldn't be a problem.

What on Earth do you mean? The above suggests you do not know enough about electricity to be playing with several hundred volts.

Whilst I can think of a few legitimate uses for generating several hundred volts at low power from a 6 volt battery I can also think of several less savoury ones.

Since you show a remarkable reluctance to define your application and neither PF nor I condone inappropriate uses I can only suggest you abandon your project.

I agree. This thread is closed.

1. What is a high frequency transformer?

A high frequency transformer is an electrical device that is used to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another through electromagnetic induction. It operates at high frequencies, typically above 20 kHz, and is commonly used in electronic devices such as power supplies, inverters, and audio amplifiers.

2. How does a high frequency transformer work?

A high frequency transformer consists of two or more coils of insulated wire wound around a magnetic core. An alternating current is passed through one coil, known as the primary winding, which creates a changing magnetic field. This field induces an alternating current in the other coil, known as the secondary winding, which is connected to the load. The ratio of the number of turns in the primary and secondary windings determines the voltage and current output of the transformer.

3. What are the advantages of using a high frequency transformer?

High frequency transformers have several advantages over traditional low frequency transformers. They are smaller in size and weight, have higher efficiency, and can operate at higher frequencies, allowing for faster switching speeds. This makes them ideal for use in electronic devices where space and weight are limited, and high efficiency is desired.

4. What are some common applications of high frequency transformers?

High frequency transformers are commonly used in power supplies, particularly in switch-mode power supplies, where they convert high voltage, low current AC power into low voltage, high current DC power. They are also used in inverters to convert DC power into AC power for use in appliances and electronic devices. Additionally, they are used in audio amplifiers to step up or step down the voltage of an audio signal.

5. How can I ensure the safety and reliability of a high frequency transformer?

In order to ensure the safety and reliability of a high frequency transformer, it is important to choose a reputable manufacturer and to use high quality materials. The transformer should also be properly designed and tested to ensure it meets safety and performance standards. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help to identify any potential issues and ensure the longevity of the transformer.