Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High Impedance Coils

1. Jul 19, 2010 #1
    Hello All,

I have been doing some experiments with inductors of various sizes and inductances. I was wondering if anyone here knows of any suppliers out there that sell high impedance air-core inductors (a few thousand turns of high gauge wire (30 gauge or so)) that can be purchased off the shelf. So far, I have been winding my own on empty radio shack spools but really need to get some that are wound better than the ones I make. One place I used in the past was parts express but most of their inductors are using larger gauge wire (AWG20 and lower). What do you all think?

Thanks,
    Jason O

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Another option would be to buy a used coil winding machine off of e-Bay. Something like this hand-powered one:

http://www.coilwindingmachine.in/manual_transformer_winding_machine4.jpg

One of the engineers that I worked with had his own personal machine like that one, and he brought it in to work several times when we were experimenting with various transformer designs that used bobbins.

4. Jul 20, 2010 #3
    Hi berkeman,

thanks for the tip, I'll look into that more :-).

- Jason O

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook