Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High-index vs. regular lens.

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    Recently, I purchased a pair of glasses from a privately owned optic store. I specifically asked for hi-index lens (1.56 or 1.60, I am not sure). The lens I got, however, is kind of thick (around 5 mm thick on the edges).My eye -sight is poor though, -5.00 sphere, -1.25 cylinder on the worst eye. Are there ways to tell if the lens is high-index or just plain regular lens, besides the thickness? Also, there are "rings" on the edge when I look parallel to the surface of the lens.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

one reason the lens could be thicker than you expect is if the front surface is flat- some plastic lenses only have one curved surface. This increases the thickness.

I was not able to easily find any technical information about "high index" eyeglass material. I found a few ads claiming n =1.70 or 1.74, but without quantitiatvie information it's hard to separate fact from fantasy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook