1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High-index vs. regular lens.

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    Recently, I purchased a pair of glasses from a privately owned optic store. I specifically asked for hi-index lens (1.56 or 1.60, I am not sure). The lens I got, however, is kind of thick (around 5 mm thick on the edges).My eye -sight is poor though, -5.00 sphere, -1.25 cylinder on the worst eye. Are there ways to tell if the lens is high-index or just plain regular lens, besides the thickness? Also, there are "rings" on the edge when I look parallel to the surface of the lens.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

one reason the lens could be thicker than you expect is if the front surface is flat- some plastic lenses only have one curved surface. This increases the thickness.

I was not able to easily find any technical information about "high index" eyeglass material. I found a few ads claiming n =1.70 or 1.74, but without quantitiatvie information it's hard to separate fact from fantasy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook