1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High Pass filter

1. Feb 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ''A machineoutputs a 4kHz sine wave signal of amplitude 2 volts peak, plus a 100Hz interference component of amplitude 1 V peak''

Given equation: Vout/Vin = 1/((1+(f0/f^2))^0.5 phase lead = inverse tan (f0/f)

f0 = 1/(2*pi*R*C)

I'm given a 4 kilo-ohm resistor and need to choose a capacitor to reduce the interference (100 Hz signal) to 0.05 V peak; I need to design a high pass RC circuit.

2. Relevant equations

given in the Q

3. The attempt at a solution I'm not sure what f0 and f actually is. Equations I can find which are similar to this have 'critical frequencies' mentioned.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

In the equations given, f would be the frequency of interest that you are trying to suppress, while fo would be the "corner frequency" of the filter which is determined by the choice of R and C for the filter.

4. Feb 5, 2015 #3
    Hi thanks for the reply. So would f would be 100 Hz? But I'm not sure how to cut the interference to 0.05 V only. Any ideas?

5. Feb 5, 2015 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yes, 100 Hz is what you are trying to suppress from 1 V down to 0.05 V. Looks like a Vo/Vi ratio is close at hand ;)

6. Feb 6, 2015 #5

LvW

Vout/Vin = 1/[(1+(f0/f)^2)]^0.5

Hello - at first, I have corrected the expression for the magnitude of a firdt-order highpass (see above).
    Because fo must be chosen so that at f=100 hz the damping factor is 1/0.05=20 we have the expression

[(1+(f0/f)^2)]^0.5=20;
    (fo/f)^0.5=399~400.
    (fo/f)=20
    ;
    fo=20*f=2kHz.

Hence, the highpass corner frequency is fo=2kHz.
    Therefore: T=RC=1/wo=1/(2Pi*fo)=1.6 ms.

Now you have to find suitable values for R and C for realizing the time constant T=RC.

Remark: Sorry - if I gave too many details in my answer. Only now I have realized that I am in the homework section.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  7. Feb 6, 2015 #6
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted