Powering High Voltage LED from Low Voltage Source: Is it Possible?

In summary, you can power a LED with a forward voltage of 29.3V and forward current of 440ma from a 1.5V source with a 2400mAh Capacity if the supply is capable of delivering at least 8.6A and the battery has an internal resistance of less than 33mΩ.
helofrind
Wanting to know if it is possible to power a LED with a forward voltage of 29.3V and forward current of 440ma from a 1.5V source with a 2400mAh Capacity?

No particular need for this, more for challenge/knowledge. Have tried methods with a transformer, DC-DC converter, and lm350 constant current. So far I am not having any luck

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you talking ideal components or can you supply part numbers for real devices you want to use?

BoB

It would depend on the current capacity (or internal resistance) of the source.
29.3V x 0.44A = 12.9W soyour power supply must deliver at least this plus energy wasted in converter inefficiency.
So your supply must deliver 12.9W / 1.5V = 8.6A plus current to cover inefficiency.
If you had a converter with say 75% efficiency, the current drain would need to be about 11.5A while maintaining 1.5V.
If the voltage drops with load current, as it usually does, then the needed current increases further.
This is the killer for you, as it means (I think*) you need a 1.5V cell with an internal resistance of less than 33mΩ. Maybe there is one, but I don't know about anything close.

* I reasoned that you need 12.9W at 75% efficiency = 17.2W.
The cell supplies maximum power when the load resistance equals the internal resistance and half the emf is across the internal R and half across the load.
So you get 0.75V output to give 17.2W = 23A. This is equivalent to a resistance of 0.75V/23A = 0.033Ω.

On second thoughts, you could achieve a very low internal resistance by paralleling many cells, so it's not a problem!
100 AA alkaline cells would probably get well below the requirement and give you more than 1200mAH.

Merlin3189 said:
paralleling many cells

In that case just put them in series until you get to the required voltage. Plan it right and you can use the series resistance of the cells for your limiting resistor.

helofrind said:
a 1.5V source with a 2400mAh Capacity

Sounds like a single lithium primary AA battery to me. The short answer on that is that no you can't light the specified LED with that battery. A strobe effect may be possible with the proper circuit.

BoB

Likes sophiecentaur
helofrind said:
I only need ideal components.

Then yes you certainly could run that led with an ideal 1.5V 2400mAh battery. Using and ideal step up supply you will get 1000 seconds of run time. This set up is often used for finding your spherical cows at night.

BoB

I forgot to consider internal resistance of battery, been using bench power supply at 1.5 V with 3 amp limiter.

helofrind said:
Wanting to know if it is possible to power a LED with a forward voltage of 29.3V and forward current of 440ma from a 1.5V source with a 2400mAh Capacity?

Merlin3189 said:
So your supply must deliver 12.9W / 1.5V = 8.6A...

..and a 2400mAH could supply that for about 16mins.

If you need longer it would be better to use more cells in series than in parallel.

1. What is a high power LED power supply and how does it work?

A high power LED power supply is a device that converts high voltage AC power to low voltage DC power for use with high power LEDs. It regulates the voltage and current to ensure that the LEDs receive the correct amount of power to function properly. The power supply works by using electronic components such as diodes, capacitors, and transformers to convert the electricity.

2. What is the difference between a constant current and a constant voltage power supply for high power LEDs?

A constant current power supply maintains a consistent current flow to the LED, while a constant voltage power supply maintains a steady voltage. Constant current power supplies are typically used for high power LEDs because they require a specific current to function properly. Constant voltage power supplies are more suitable for low power LEDs.

3. How do I choose the right high power LED power supply for my project?

There are a few factors to consider when choosing a high power LED power supply, including the voltage and current requirements of your LEDs, the power supply's efficiency and reliability, and any additional features such as dimming capabilities. It is important to carefully match the power supply to your specific LED needs to ensure optimal performance.

4. Can I use a regular power supply for my high power LEDs?

No, regular power supplies are not suitable for high power LEDs because they do not provide the necessary voltage and current regulation. This can lead to inefficient operation and potential damage to the LEDs. It is important to use a power supply specifically designed for high power LEDs to ensure proper function and longevity.

5. What safety precautions should I take when working with high power LED power supplies?

When working with high power LED power supplies, it is important to follow all safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer. This may include wearing protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a grounding strap. It is also important to ensure that the power supply is properly grounded and that all connections are secure to prevent electric shock. If unsure, it is best to consult a professional or an experienced individual for assistance.