What are the best options for high purity reciprocating seals at 3000psig?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a high purity reciprocating seal for an application at 3000psig. They have considered different options, such as AS 568 size -002 o-ring, Teflon or FFKM seals, and encapsulated o-rings, but have not found a suitable size or cost-effective solution. They are open to suggestions and exploring other options, such as using stacked split rings on the shaft.
blakej
I have an application which requires a high purity reciprocating seal at 3000psig. An AS 568 size -002 o-ring is the size I need or close to it (must work on an nominal ∅.046" shaft.) Teflon or FFKM (like Kalrez etc.) would be acceptable, but spring energized Teflon seals are tougher at that size for 3kpsig. I've thought about encapsulated o-rings but haven't found anyone who makes them at that size. FFKM seals seem like the best bet at this point, they're just so incredibly expensive. If anyone has other options, thoughts, or sources to check out, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!
Blake

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any chance that you could use stacked split rings, like automotive piston rings but with the gaps offset from each other to provide total sealing, or would that put too much friction on the shaft?

Danger said:
Any chance that you could use stacked split rings, like automotive piston rings but with the gaps offset from each other to provide total sealing, or would that put too much friction on the shaft?

Very interesting thought. I'll explore that one. Thanks.
Blake

1. What are high purity seal options?

High purity seal options are specialized materials or coatings used to create a barrier on surfaces or between components in order to maintain a high level of purity in a scientific or industrial process. These seals prevent contamination from outside sources that could compromise the integrity of the process or product.

2. What types of materials are used in high purity seals?

The most commonly used materials for high purity seals include fluoropolymers such as PTFE, PFA, and FEP, as well as elastomers like silicone and EPDM. These materials are known for their chemical resistance and low extractable levels, making them ideal for maintaining purity in sensitive applications.

3. How do high purity seals differ from standard seals?

High purity seals are specifically designed to meet the requirements of industries where maintaining purity is critical, such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and semiconductor manufacturing. These seals undergo rigorous testing and have stricter quality control measures than standard seals to ensure they meet the necessary standards for purity.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a high purity seal?

When selecting a high purity seal, it is important to consider the chemical compatibility with the substances it will come in contact with, as well as the temperature and pressure requirements of the application. It is also important to choose a seal with low extractable levels and high purity standards to ensure it will not contaminate the process.

5. How long do high purity seals last?

The lifespan of a high purity seal depends on several factors, such as the type of material used, the conditions it is exposed to, and the frequency of use. Some high purity seals may need to be replaced more frequently due to wear and tear, while others can last for years if properly maintained and used in the appropriate applications.