Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High quality Newton's Cradle?

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    As a future physics teacher I've been looking online for a good Newton's cradle. Unfortunately all the ones I come across are cheap and my prior experiences with them have obviously been of rather poor quality. I was wondering if anyone knows of any sources for high quality Newton Cradles; I'm certainly willing to pay more for a better-made device! Thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2
    I don't know where to buy a nice one, but your post reminds me of a Mythbusters show I saw a while back where they tried to build a gigantic Newton's cradle out of construction wrecking balls. Didn't work very well. Best to stick with small steel balls and forget the fancy designer cradles, otherwise it's hard to see how you could screw it up too badly unless it's due to the initial ball positioning.

4. Oct 9, 2011 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Youtube video using something that looks like small bowling balls (you can also find a few full size bowling ball newton's crade on youtube). This video was used in a previous thread on newtons cradles.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Oct 9, 2011 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. May 1, 2013 #5
    Just found a company that sells a very high quality giant newton's cradle in two sizes. They look very nice. All metal with aircraft cable so no plastic or fishing lines. And made in the USA. I'm going to order the giant one. Will give my feedback once I get it. The website is giantnewtonscradle.com .

Last edited: May 1, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook