Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High rez electromagnetic field mapping

1. Jul 31, 2005 #1
    Greetings, I am currently working on an interesting experiment on crystalized metal and I need to find a way to get a detailed map of an electromagnetic field when current is induced into a metal sample. I found the basic 2D approach of using conductivity paper and Ag ink to be useless as it produces very crude results. I am looking for a way to yield more detail with fine lines that will show greater characteristics from my sample. A 3D map would be a good start I would think. I also would think such a fine mapping would be sensitive to environmental fields such as the Earths magnetic field, so I am guessing the experiment will need to be shielded in some way. Does anyone know how I can do this? Sorry I am not a physicist so I am not familiar what is used when they need to do this type of work. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2005 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

This is an extremely complex problem, there is no standard way of performing this type of measurement.

The best you might be able to do is enlist the help of someone with a bit of expertise in writing simulation programs for Finite Element problems. There may also be software packages available that can also perform this kind of simulation.

4. Jul 31, 2005 #3
    Thanks Claude for the reply.

I would think there was some common device used in physics to collect a 3D image of EM fields, but I guess I am wrong. I am sure the large universities must have such a method or device to do this.

Well then is there a device that can do a more precise 2D mapping?
  5. Aug 1, 2005 #4

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

I use a technique called SNOM to measure optical electromagnetic fields, however this wouldn't be suitable for DC fields. How small do you need the resolution to be?

6. Aug 2, 2005 #5
    Good question, I am really not sure how detailed ill need. My objective is to keep trying better and better measurements until I can tell the difference between a crystalized and non crystalized sample from just its EM signature.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?