Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High rise building fire in Caracas

1. Nov 8, 2004 #1
    Few weeks ago there was that huge fire in a high rise tower in Caracas/Venezuela,does that building collapsed?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2004 #2
    There were more high towers fires in last 20-30 years, how many of them managed to destroy the building completelly?

4. Nov 15, 2004 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Doesn't look like anyone has a clue. Try Google?

5. Nov 15, 2004 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It is very rare that a high-rise fire causes the building to collapse.

Along a similar vein, most high-rise fires can easily be stopped by a sprinkler system.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  6. Nov 15, 2004 #5
    I have a friend that is from Venezuela. I will ask him tomorrow

7. Nov 17, 2004 #6
    Glenn told me that this building is the tallest of Venezuela, and that the fire only affected the superior levels of the building, from the 70 storey upwards. So far, the building hasn't collapsed yet...

8. Nov 17, 2004 #7
    Thanks v.much.
    I wonder how much money gonna cost them to fix all the water smoke damage.?I guess better for them to just blow up this building like they did WTC 1-2.

9. Nov 17, 2004 #8
    There can be several problems with working on a fire damaged bulding, such as air systems contaminated by toxic fumes or airbourn asbestos. However, if it is still structurally sound, smoke and water damage are largely cosmetic (damaged drywall, carpet, ceilings, etc.) and it would probably be cheaper to keep the structure and gut and rebuild the interior and repair or replace various damaged systems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?