1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High School AP Physics

Tags:
  1. Feb 8, 2013 #1
    I know this question will likely depend on the college that it is applied to, but...
    If I were to not have taken any sort of Calculas, only pre-calculas in High School along with not taking AP Physics of any sort in High School would you still be able to enter college and study Physics?

If this is an unlikely possibility what would be the best ways/books/courses to teach yourself Calculas along with more advanced Physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2013 #2
    Of course you can, just takes effort.

4. Feb 8, 2013 #3
    I know many people who didn't take calculus or physics in high school who went on to major in physics. You might be less prepared than some of your peers, but you can catch up pretty easily, those are only 2 classes.

5. Feb 8, 2013 #4
    My main concern is that colleges will be reluctant to allow me to pursue a physics major if I do not have experience with calculas based physics beforehand.

6. Feb 8, 2013 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why do you not find these responses reassuring?

Have you looked at the websites of the colleges you are interested in? Do any of them - at all - suggest that high school calculus based physics is required?

7. Feb 8, 2013 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Most colleges set up their physics major so students can start by taking Calculus I and II during the freshman year, alongside the calculus-based introductory physics sequence.

Calculus-based intro physics doesn't really use much calculus for actual calculations and problem-solving. It's more for conceptual purposes, to simplify some derivations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook