Is My High School Math Education Complete with These Books?

In summary, the speaker is a high school student seeking the most rigorous education in algebra and geometry. They are considering using the SMSG books from Yale University, but have concerns about their relevance. They are also considering a plan that includes starting with basic math by Lang, followed by Algebra by Gelfand, Lang's geometry or Kiselev geometry, Gelfand trigonometry, and Gelfand and Sullivan's precalculus or "graphs and functions." The speaker is wondering if this plan will provide them with a strong background in algebra and geometry, or if they should also consider the Art of Problem Solving books.
Prince1
I am a high school student and I want to get the most rigorous math education available in algebra and geometry. I was thinking the SMSG books from yale univ, but that may be outdated (they use stuff like "truth sets"). How about this plan:
Starting of with basic math by lang
Algebra by gelfand
Lang's geometry/kiselev geometry
gelfand trigonometry
Gelfand and sullivan's precalculus/"graphs and functions"
Is this enough to give me the strongest, most rigorous background in algebra and geometry? Or should I consider the yale univ SMSG books as well? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to consider Art of Problem Solving books. They are a very good choice for the strongest math students. Classes to go with them if you like, but not at all necessary.

1. What are high school books?

High school books are textbooks and literature that are used as educational resources for students in high school. These books cover a wide range of subjects, including math, science, English, history, and more.

2. Are high school books different from college books?

Yes, high school books and college books are different in terms of content, level of difficulty, and depth of information. High school books are designed for students in the age range of 14-18, while college books are meant for students in the age range of 18-22.

3. How do high school books help in learning?

High school books are an essential tool for learning as they provide students with structured and organized information on various subjects. They also include exercises and practice questions to reinforce learning and help students prepare for exams.

4. Can high school books be accessed online?

Yes, many high school books are now available online in digital format. This allows students to access the books anytime and anywhere, making learning more convenient and accessible.

5. How can high school books be chosen for a particular subject?

High school books are typically chosen by teachers and school districts based on their curriculum and the specific needs of their students. They should be selected based on their accuracy, relevance, and alignment with the learning objectives of the subject.