High School Chemistry: Find pH of Solutions A and C | Acid-Base Equilibrium

In summary, jacker2011 is attempting to calculate the pH of solution A using the Ka equation, and calculating the pH of solution C using the equilibrium constant equation.
jacker2011

Homework Statement

Find pH of solution A and that of Solution C with the following information below:

Solution A:50ml of 0.100 M solution of weak monoprotic acid HX
Solution B: 0.0500M solution of salt NaX. It has a pH of 10.02
Solution C: made by adding 15.0m; of 0.250 M KOH to solution A

Homework Equations

Ka for monoprotic acid is 7.2 x 10^-4, Ka=[H+] [anion]. Anion= x
1/2log(Ka)=[H+]

The Attempt at a Solution

i try to find [H+] which i did was 1/2log(Ka)=
1/2log (7.2 x 10^-4) = 0.0268
or I find the M of [H+] in solution A
and i found 0.005M of HX

Physics news on Phys.org
The simplification not being immediately obvious to me, I find that the equilibrium constant expression for the weak acid could generally be:
[tex] \[
K_a = \frac{{[H][H]}}{{F_a - [H]}}
\] [/tex]
Which is easily transformed to [tex] \[
[H]^2 + K_a [H] - K_a F = 0
\] [/tex]
You can from there use the solution to a quadratic equation. In that equation, [tex]\[F_a \] [/tex] is formality of the acid, and [H] is molarity of hydrogen ion (or hydronium).

For solution #c, note if you have excess HX or excess KOH. If you have excess HX, then you have a solution containing HX and KX, meaning this is a buffer. Base your calculations on the modification required for the Ka formula (my best guess, right now - depends on relative ratios and strength of Ka and Kb; the KX has a Kb value while the HX has a Ka value.)

What jacker2011 aims at is [H+]=sqrt(Ka*C), which works for dissociation degree smaller than 5% (see discussion of calculation of pH of weak acid for details).

Buffer solution is not about containing HX and KX, but about containing HX and X- at the same time (ie acid and conjugated base). That's close, but it is not the same.

1. What is the purpose of high school chemistry homework?

The purpose of high school chemistry homework is to reinforce and deepen students' understanding of the concepts and principles taught in class. It also helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and prepares them for exams and future courses in chemistry.

2. How much time should I spend on high school chemistry homework?

The amount of time spent on high school chemistry homework may vary depending on the individual student's understanding of the subject and the complexity of the assignment. On average, students are expected to spend about 30-45 minutes on homework per night.

3. Can I use online resources to help me with my high school chemistry homework?

Yes, there are many reputable online resources available to help students with their high school chemistry homework. These resources include educational websites, interactive tutorials, and practice problems. However, it is important to use these resources as a supplement to classroom learning and not rely on them entirely.

4. What if I am struggling with my high school chemistry homework?

If you are struggling with your high school chemistry homework, it is important to seek help from your teacher or a tutor. They can provide additional explanations and guidance to help you understand the material better. It is also important to review your notes and practice problems regularly to reinforce your understanding of the subject.

5. Is high school chemistry homework important for my future career?

High school chemistry homework may not directly impact your future career, but it can help you develop important skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and time management, which are valuable in any profession. Additionally, a strong foundation in chemistry can be beneficial for students pursuing careers in science, medicine, or engineering.