1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High School Chemistry HW

1. Apr 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find pH of solution A and that of Solution C with the following information below:

Solution A:50ml of 0.100 M solution of weak monoprotic acid HX
    Solution B: 0.0500M solution of salt NaX. It has a pH of 10.02
    Solution C: made by adding 15.0m; of 0.250 M KOH to solution A

2. Relevant equations
    Ka for monoprotic acid is 7.2 x 10^-4, Ka=[H+] [anion]. Anion= x

3. The attempt at a solution

i try to find [H+] which i did was 1/2log(Ka)=
    1/2log (7.2 x 10^-4) = 0.0268
    or I find the M of [H+] in solution A
    and i found 0.005M of HX
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2007 #2

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The simplification not being immediately obvious to me, I find that the equilibrium constant expression for the weak acid could generally be:
    [tex] \[
    K_a = \frac{{[H][H]}}{{F_a - [H]}}
    \] [/tex]
    Which is easily transformed to [tex] \[
    [H]^2 + K_a [H] - K_a F = 0
    \] [/tex]
    You can from there use the solution to a quadratic equation. In that equation, [tex]\[F_a \] [/tex] is formality of the acid, and [H] is molarity of hydrogen ion (or hydronium).

For solution #c, note if you have excess HX or excess KOH. If you have excess HX, then you have a solution containing HX and KX, meaning this is a buffer. Base your calculations on the modification required for the Ka formula (my best guess, right now - depends on relative ratios and strength of Ka and Kb; the KX has a Kb value while the HX has a Ka value.)
  4. Apr 23, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

What jacker2011 aims at is [H+]=sqrt(Ka*C), which works for dissociation degree smaller than 5% (see discussion of calculation of pH of weak acid for details).

Buffer solution is not about containing HX and KX, but about containing HX and X- at the same time (ie acid and conjugated base). That's close, but it is not the same.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?