Deciding High School Classes for Junior Year

In summary, the speaker is a junior in high school who is planning their classes for the next year. They are currently signed up for Physics C (mechanics) and AP Chemistry, but they did not do well in Calculus AB and do not plan on taking Calculus BC. They are interested in majoring in physics for college and are wondering if their current plan is acceptable. They receive advice from a sophomore physics major who suggests that doing well in the Physics C exam could make the first two semesters of college easier. The sophomore is not able to focus on a specific area of physics yet due to the curriculum.
HappyTheMan
I am currently a junior in high school and I am deciding on what classes to take for next year. As of now I am signed up for Physics C(mechanics) and AP chemistry as my science classes. I took Calculus AB this year and I didn't do too well(didnt stay caught up with the homework) and I'm not planning on taking BC my senior year because I can't stand my teacher. I'm figuring that the chemistry class will make up for it and I can just continue calculus in college, but I am interested in majoring in physics for college, so I was wondering if this would be an acceptable plan or not.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am a physics major currently finishing my sophomore year. I entered college having taken Calculus AB and Physics B in high school and I am doing just fine. The work, however, is difficult but if you do well on the Physics C exam it might be a relatively easy first two semesters for you.

Thanks for the reply! Just out of curiosity, what field of physics are you studying the most? I'm really new to all of it but it has really been a cool experience all year and I'm trying to figure out which area I like the most.

Well, as only a sophomore I am not really able to focus on one particular area of physics. The curriculum at this point dictates what I study.

I would advise you to carefully consider your long-term goals and interests when selecting your high school classes for junior year. While it's important to challenge yourself and take advanced courses, it's also important to prioritize your strengths and passions. If you are interested in majoring in physics in college, I would highly recommend taking both Physics C and AP Chemistry, as these courses will provide a strong foundation for your future studies. However, it's also important to maintain a healthy balance and not overload yourself with too many challenging courses. If you struggled with Calculus AB and are not planning on taking BC, that is completely understandable. You can always continue your calculus studies in college, and it's more important to excel in the courses you are taking now rather than taking on too much and not performing well in any of them. Ultimately, it's important to find a balance between challenging yourself and setting yourself up for success. I wish you the best of luck in your academic journey!

1. What classes should I take during my junior year of high school?

The classes you should take during your junior year of high school will depend on your individual academic goals and interests. It is generally recommended to take a mix of challenging courses in core subjects such as English, math, science, and social studies, as well as elective courses that align with your interests and potential college major.

2. How many classes should I take during my junior year?

Most schools require students to take a certain number of credits to graduate, so it is important to make sure you are meeting those requirements. In general, it is recommended to take at least 5-6 classes per semester during your junior year to demonstrate a strong academic course load to colleges.

3. Do colleges look at the specific classes I take during my junior year?

Yes, colleges do look at the specific classes you take during your junior year. They are particularly interested in seeing that you are challenging yourself academically and taking a rigorous course load. They also look at the types of classes you are taking to see if they align with your potential college major or demonstrate a well-rounded education.

4. What if I am not sure what classes to take during my junior year?

If you are unsure about what classes to take during your junior year, it is important to speak with your school counselor or a trusted teacher. They can provide guidance based on your academic strengths and interests, as well as any college or career goals you may have.

5. Can I change my classes during my junior year?

In most cases, you can change your classes during your junior year if needed. However, it is important to keep in mind that dropping or adding classes can affect your transcript and college applications. It is best to discuss any potential class changes with your school counselor to ensure they align with your academic goals.