1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(high school -> college) Does it matter which teacher I choose for recommendations?

1. Jan 10, 2009 #1
    Besides the PE teacher.

I want to major in Engineering or Physics, and I plan on applying to Cornell University. Does it matter which teacher I choose (e.g., precal teacher vs. English teacher)?

Should I just stick to the math/science teachers since it'll show I'm more math/science geared? Or ask any teacher that knows me well and hold my abilities in a positive light?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2009 #2
    Re: (high school -> college) Does it matter which teacher I choose for recommendation

It's possible that Cornell requires a math/science recommendation and a humanities/social sciences recommendation.

If not, stick with teachers who know you well, preferably both inside and outside of the classroom. Does Cornell require you to apply to one of their 5 specific colleges? If so, you may want to get a good recommendation from a science/math teacher assuming that you will apply to the college of engineering.

4. Jan 10, 2009 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: (high school -> college) Does it matter which teacher I choose for recommendation

I think it's best to go with the teachers who know you best unless a teacher of a specific subject is requested. High school teachers often teach many subjects through their careers, even though over the few years that you know them they may seem very specialized.

The teachers who know you best are more likely to include more personal information and write less of a "form letter" for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?