What is the area of the shaded region in terms of pi?

In summary, the problem is that the student doesn't know how to get the answer in terms of pi, so they ask for help. The help they receive is to label the problem and then they can sleep.
little_ein

Homework Statement

Find the area of the shaded region. Leave your answer in terms of pi.
The circle has a right triangle inside of it, with the leg length of 18ft.

Area of a shaded region of a circle = Area of a sector of a circle minus the Area of the triangle.

Homework Equations

Area of a shaded region = the measure of the arc divided by 360 multiplied by the area of a circle.

Area of a circle = the product of pi and the square of the radius.

Area of a triangle = the product of the base and the height divided by half.

The Attempt at a Solution

Area of a shaded region= 90/360= multiplied by pi18squared.
= .250 multiplied by pi324
= 81pi

Area of a triangle = half (18 multiplied by 18)
= half (324)
=162ft

Some the end equation should be 81pi minus 162=?

The problem is I don't know how to get the answer in terms of pi.

So how would I write this in terms of pi.

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Its hard to tell without a picture, but I think you want the area of the whole circle minus the triangle

It looks like you want the area of a shaded region like that shown here:
http://www.utexas.edu/student/utlc/lrnres/mstc/image472.gif

Your solution is correct (just make sure you write ft2, "square feet" instead of just "feet" for area). Your answer IS in terms of pi. You're done! "In terms of pi" just means you should describe the answer with pi, which is what you've done. (For example, an expression in terms of x might be 5x - 3, or 6x2 - 12x - 9.)

If they did not want the answer in terms of pi but instead wanted a decimal number, you would use 3.14... in place of pi and multiply everything out (81*3.14 - 162) to get somewhere around 92.5 which is the same answer in a different form. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh! Well now I feel a little foolish. I apreciate the help, so thank you .
Just have to label the problem and then I can sleep!

1. What is High School Geometry?

High School Geometry is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of shapes, sizes, and their properties. It involves the use of axioms, theorems, and proofs to solve geometric problems and understand the relationships between different geometric figures.

2. Why is High School Geometry important?

High School Geometry is important because it helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also provides a foundation for higher-level math courses and is applicable in many real-world situations, such as architecture, engineering, and design.

3. What are some common topics covered in High School Geometry?

Some common topics covered in High School Geometry include angles, lines, triangles, circles, polygons, transformations, congruence, similarity, and proofs. Students also learn about various geometric formulas and how to apply them.

4. How can I improve my understanding of High School Geometry?

To improve your understanding of High School Geometry, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also use online resources, such as videos, tutorials, and practice problems, to supplement your learning. Additionally, discussing concepts with classmates and asking your teacher for clarification can also be helpful.

5. What are some real-world applications of High School Geometry?

High School Geometry has many real-world applications, such as in architecture, engineering, land surveying, art, and design. For example, architects use geometry to design buildings and structures, while engineers use it to design roads, bridges, and other structures. Artists also use geometric principles to create aesthetically pleasing designs.