Will high school math ever become challenging for me?

In summary, the speaker is a sophomore in high school taking a geometry honors class. They did poorly in math in the past due to lack of interest, but now that they are applying themselves, it is easy. They wonder if math will become challenging or interesting in high school or if they will have to wait until college. The advice given is to take courses at a local university for a challenge and potential college credit. However, it is unlikely that high school math will become challenging. The speaker is advised to seek out books designed to challenge high school students.
member 178484
hello all, I am a sophmore in high school, currently taking a geometry honors class (my high school goes alg2/accel -> geo -> precalc -> intro to calc/ab/bc, for the higher level math classes-- no multivariable, linear alg, etc.) last year, as well as the year before, i did terrible in math, but that was because i couldn't have cared less about it. not sure why i had that mindset, and sadly, I am kicking myself for it. but, now that I'm actually applying myself, its so absurdly easy that i feel as if it'll never be remotely challenging. so, a question- will math become even slightly challenging/interesting in high school? or will i have to wait until my physics or engineering major for that(meaning plenty of self-studying will be in order)?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you find that there aren't enough challenging courses offered at your high school, you can always go to a local university and take courses there. I would suggest you do this over self-studying, as this could count for college credit.

It almost certainly won't. If you want a challenge you'll have to look elsewhere unfortunately. There are a lot of books you can find designed to challenge high schoolers.

1. What is the purpose of high school math?

High school math serves several purposes, including developing critical thinking skills, providing a foundation for higher level math and science courses, and preparing students for college and future careers.

2. Why is high school math important?

High school math is important because it teaches students problem-solving skills, logical thinking, and the ability to analyze and interpret data. These skills are valuable in many aspects of life, including academics, career, and personal decision-making.

3. What are the main topics covered in high school math?

The main topics covered in high school math include algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, and statistics. These subjects build upon each other and provide a well-rounded understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications.

4. How can I improve my math skills in high school?

To improve math skills in high school, it is important to practice regularly, seek help from teachers or tutors when needed, and approach problems with a positive attitude and willingness to learn. Additionally, using online resources and participating in math-related extracurricular activities can also help improve skills.

5. How can I prepare for college-level math courses in high school?

To prepare for college-level math courses in high school, it is important to take challenging math courses and maintain good grades, seek out advanced placement or dual enrollment options, and practice critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is also helpful to review and reinforce fundamental concepts from previous math courses.