Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High School Officer Positions?

1. Feb 12, 2005 #1
    So... I was just wondering what positions for different look better when compared to others?

For example..

ASB - officers
    Class - officers
    Key Club - officers
    Science Olympiad - officers

I take it they would bet ranked like I listed them.. of course a president in one club is probably better then any other position in another club...

I am not sure.. but I dont have a lot of time (I'm a junior).. and I never consider becomign an officer.. even though I have done lots of things outside of school.. I didnt really consider going for an officer position, I always thought I could contribute just as much by just being part of something.. but now in my senior year I'll probably take on several position.. I'm just wondering what would be best... or if it would even look good that I just jumped on it the last year .. heh.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2005 #2
    I was VP of the entire student body in my junior and senior years. It looked good on my record, but the school suffered because of it.
    I won the first year because I was funny during the speeches. I won the second year because I was in charge of the elections and I forgot to put a sign up sheet on the bulletin board.

4. Feb 15, 2005 #3

Personally i'm not real big on that brand of horsemanure. Meaningless honors are just that, meaningless. I agree with Feynman on these matters:

Personally, I signed up for NHS and CSF in highschool. Got in to both, went to one meeting and that was more than enough of that crap. Refused to pay dues or go again, it was a waste of my time, and utterly worthless.

In short, honors are meaningless, its what you cana ctually do taht matters.

5. Feb 15, 2005 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By the time you get out of college it is ancient history and of no interest to anyone.

6. Feb 15, 2005 #5
    the thing is.. it's what helps you get into college though.

7. Feb 15, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For getting into college, any position as an officer in any club will look just as good as any other. Nobody knows whether you just sat around talking about who else to let in your club or if you actually did anything useful. It's silly that it helps your application because it's hardly a secret that nobody in any of these clubs really does anything much, and for the most part, election to be an officer is pretty much just a popularity contest, but it does help, so pick whatever one seems to do the least activities, get a position as an officer in it, and do one more activity than the previous year so you can brag in your applications how you increased the activities of the club. Drag along a friend to be a member and talk about your membership drive increasing membership over the previous year too. (Yeah, I'm cynical about these clubs...but if you have to play the game, you might as well know the shortcuts).

8. Feb 15, 2005 #7

No you're dead on, its total bullcrap. Thats exactly what they are, with the possible exception of key club depending on the chapter (ours had a very heavy community service requirement. Granted they still only did it to look good to colleges, but they were at least doing something...i hesitate to say significant, but they did do a lot of good things around town, even if for the entirely wrong reasons).

9. Feb 15, 2005 #8
    I was also president of honor society, voted most likely to succeed, valedictorian, and editor of the school newspaper.
    That's pretty good for someone being home schooled.

10. Feb 15, 2005 #9
    I'd like to take this moment to note that tribdog was not the head editor of his home school newspaper... :tongue2:

11. Feb 15, 2005 #10

So he had a slightly less bull**** position than his boss?

12. Mar 11, 2005 #11
    Well I made this post a while back.. but.. basically I kind of would actually do something for the club.. and thats the only reason I would run for a position.. because it does seem unfair how all these kids that really dont do anything get the positions.

13. Mar 11, 2005 #12
    Pft. I was treasurer once, didn't do squat. The club ran fine anyway.

And another thing about looking good for these colleges... eughh. I hate being such an egocentric, pompous bastard writing those darned essays that glorify myself. Disgusting. It makes me want to take a shower.

These titles don't mean much, but if you do insist on trying to go for some of these titles, get lots of them and don't do anything. Odds are that even if you do try to do things, no one else will be motivated to follow and you'll still be at the bottom.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?