Why Choose Physics in High School?

In summary, you love physics but your parents don't think it's a good idea to study it in high school. You should wait to take the class until you are more mathematically mature and can take a more difficult course.
Thundagere
As a high school freshman, I need to decide what classes to take next year. I was required to take Biology this year, but since now...time to decide my future. :)
The issue I'm having is I love physics. I've studied everything I can on my own (online stuff, mostly, my parents didn't really want to buy me books, they wanted me to focus on other stuff and relax during summer), and I want to move to Physics B next year. I've spoken with the Physics teacher and the counselor, but my mom insists it will be too difficult and that it's better to study physics later so you'll "remember it in college." I really don't follow this train of thought, and I just want to follow what i love to study.
The issue is, I don't know how to explain why I want to take physics. I love it, but my mom doesn't understand that. Does anyone have any ideas on how to explain this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody can tell you how to explain to someone why you love physics.

Hell, I can't explain why I do.

Your parents may difficult to work with but if you have access to a computer you have tons of sources to learn physics.

Also, local universities have wonderful libraries you can get books from.

Thundagere said:
As a high school freshman, I need to decide what classes to take next year. I was required to take Biology this year, but since now...time to decide my future. :)
The issue I'm having is I love physics. I've studied everything I can on my own (online stuff, mostly, my parents didn't really want to buy me books, they wanted me to focus on other stuff and relax during summer), and I want to move to Physics B next year. I've spoken with the Physics teacher and the counselor, but my mom insists it will be too difficult and that it's better to study physics later so you'll "remember it in college." I really don't follow this train of thought, and I just want to follow what i love to study.
The issue is, I don't know how to explain why I want to take physics. I love it, but my mom doesn't understand that. Does anyone have any ideas on how to explain this?

I think you should wait to take physics until you can take Physics C. High school physics is not the least bit difficult, but I believe it is best to undertake physics when you are more mathematically mature. The physical intuition clicks better.

As for your question, the answer is: why not? Who wouldn't want to know things like being able to describe the workings of the universe in a comprehensive, compact language like mathematics? It's satisfying on a personal level.

What is the purpose of a high school physics class?

A high school physics class is designed to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and principles of physics. It aims to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as to foster an understanding of the natural world and its laws.

What topics are typically covered in a high school physics class?

Some of the key topics covered in a high school physics class include mechanics, electricity and magnetism, optics, thermodynamics, and waves. Other topics such as atomic and nuclear physics may also be covered depending on the curriculum.

What skills are necessary for success in a high school physics class?

In order to succeed in a high school physics class, students should have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly algebra and trigonometry. They should also possess critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to think abstractly and visualize concepts.

What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include the idea that it is only for "geniuses," that it is all about memorizing equations, and that it is only relevant to certain career paths. In reality, anyone can learn and excel in physics with dedication and practice, it involves more than just memorization, and it has applications in a wide range of fields.

What are some real-world applications of high school physics?

High school physics has numerous real-world applications, including understanding how objects move and interact in everyday situations, designing and improving technology and machines, and explaining natural phenomena such as weather and the behavior of light. It also serves as a foundation for more advanced studies in physics and related fields.