1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High School Physics Club

1. Aug 26, 2009 #1
    I am getting ready to start my sophomore year in High School. I am very interested in Physics but cannot take the class until next year. I have had Honors Bio as a freshman and am taking Honors Chem this year. I have also had Johns Hopkins CTY courses in Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics over the last two summers.

The clubs at my school are started by students. I would like any advice you may have about starting a High School Physics Club.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

- hold an inaugural meeting and formalize some positions (president, treasurer etc.) so that time you put into the club can help you with future applications
    - contact local univerisities and see if any graduate students would be interested in coming to give talks on the research they do (sometimes a pizza lunch bribe helps in this regard)
    - select a teacher mentor, preferably one who has an interest in physics and is perhaps a member of a high school physics teachers society
    - some universities have high school outreach programs that you may want to look into
    - some universities have projects that recruit high schools to assist with research (I know for a while, my alma matter had a cosmic ray detection array set up on various school roofs in the city)

4. Aug 26, 2009 #3

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

In addition to those listed above, you and other members can do tutoring, which also looks nice on college apps.

5. Aug 27, 2009 #4
    Thanks this is just what I was looking for. I did not think of the university options. The University of New Hampshire is about 15 minutes from my school, do you know anything about their physics program.

I would still like any other advice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook