1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical High School physics textbook

1. Sep 17, 2016 #1
    I have read that Feynman Lectures on Physics is pretty good; however, I also read it isn't a replacement for a good textbook. So I wanted a good physics(high school level) textbook that I could read Feynman Lectures on Physics along beside it. Regarding mathematics, I have completed Calculus I and II. Are there any other courses I should take before getting started?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I'd recommend not to waste your time with high-school textbook. If you have completed Calculus I and II (I guess that means you are familiar with real calculus of functions with one and multiple independent variables), you can as well read a calculus based introductory standard textbook like Tipler or Halliday&Resnick&Walker. The Feynman lectures are special. They are an introductory theoretical-physics book. I think it's is helpful to have first read an experimental-physics textbook like the mentioned ones first.

4. Sep 17, 2016 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I agree that is the type of book that you should use together with Feynman. Young & Freedman has also been mentioned favorably here many times, although I've never used it myself.

5. Sep 17, 2016 #4
    Thank you very much for the response. I do really appreciate it. I have read multiple amazing reviews on Halliday's book, so I downloaded Halliday - Fundamentals of Physics book. Can't wait to begin!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted