Take AP Physics C & 2? Senior Year Help

In summary, the conversation revolves around whether it would be a good idea for a high school senior to take both AP Physics C and AP Physics 2. The main concerns include the course material, previous coursework, and future major in college. After discussing the differences between the two courses, it is suggested to either take AP Physics C or 2, depending on the availability of AP Calc and personal preference. It is also advised to check with the teacher to ensure compatibility with the Calculus course.
Josh0768
Would it be a good idea to take both AP Physics C and AP Physics 2 in my senior year of high school (next year for me)? Does anyone have any experience with this and if so what was it like? Would I be biting off more than I can chew or should I go for it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think people need more information before they can say whether it makes sense at all to do this.

Does your AP Physics C course cover just mechanics, or just E&M, or both?

Have you already taken AP Physics 1?

Have you taken calculus already, or will you take it next year?

What are you thinking of majoring in, in college?

jtbell said:
I think people need more information before they can say whether it makes sense at all to do this.

Does your AP Physics C course cover just mechanics, or just E&M, or both?

Have you already taken AP Physics 1?

Have you taken calculus already, or will you take it next year?

What are you thinking of majoring in, in college?
You’re right, my bad. My schools Physics C does cover both mechanics and E&M, I am currently taking AP Physics 1 and get pretty good grades, I will be taking AP Calc next year (that and any physics classes would be my only APs), and for my major Id settle for anything sciencey but I’ve always thought astrophysics seems pretty cool.

It seems to me like AP Physics 2 is basically the same material as the second half of AP Physics C (E&M). The biggest difference is that 2 uses only algebra and some trig, whereas C uses calculus. C is intended to be equivalent to a first-year calculus-based intro physics course in college. So if you're feeling comfortable with 1 right now, I think you should just take C. The first half will basically re-hash what you're doing in 1, but with some calculus. The second half will be new.

Check with whoever is going to teach C next year, to make sure that it's OK to take it in parallel with Calculus.

Take either AP Physics C or 2. They most likely cover similar material (hence lots of overlap), except AP Physics goes more in depth and uses calculus, with 2 goes in breadth. If you haven't taken and will not enroll in AP Calc, AP Physics C is out of the question (because it requires co or pre-requisite calc.)

1. What are the benefits of taking AP Physics C & 2 in senior year?

Taking AP Physics C & 2 in senior year can provide many benefits, including college credit, a challenging and rigorous curriculum, and preparation for future studies in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) fields. Additionally, it can demonstrate to colleges and universities your commitment to academic success and ability to handle advanced coursework.

2. Is it recommended to take both AP Physics C and AP Physics 2 in the same year?

It is not recommended to take both AP Physics C and AP Physics 2 in the same year, as these courses cover different content and require a significant amount of time and effort. It is best to focus on one at a time to fully understand the material and perform well in the course.

3. Are there any prerequisites for taking AP Physics C & 2?

It is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus and algebra before taking AP Physics C & 2. Previous coursework in physics is also beneficial, as it will provide a basis for understanding the concepts in these advanced courses.

4. How can I prepare for AP Physics C & 2?

To prepare for AP Physics C & 2, it is important to review and solidify your understanding of calculus and algebra. You can also look over previous coursework in physics and familiarize yourself with the topics that will be covered in the courses. Additionally, there are many study resources available, such as review books and online practice tests, that can help you prepare.

5. What is the workload like for AP Physics C & 2?

The workload for AP Physics C & 2 can vary depending on your school and teacher. However, these courses are considered to be among the most challenging AP courses and require a significant amount of time and effort outside of class. It is important to stay organized and manage your time effectively to keep up with the coursework and succeed in the class.