1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High School Plan?

1. Jul 9, 2009 #1
    Hi!!

I need your opinion on the best course of action for High School. My plan needs to be a bit rigorous, as I hope to attend a prestigious College.

So, here's my High School plan.

9th Grade

1st Semester:

Algebra 3

Grammar and Composition IV

General Chemistry I

Biology

World History

American Government

Anatomy and Physiology

Computer Programming

French

2nd Semester:

Physics I

World Literature

Pre-Calculus

General Chemistry II

World Civilizations II

Microeconomics

Genetics

Data Structures

French

9th Grade Summer

Grammar and Composition V

Molecular Genetics

Physics II

10th Grade

1rst Semester:

Calculus AB

Molecular Biology

Macroeconomics

English Literature

European History

Analytical Chemistry I

Physics III

Ecology

Advanced French

2nd Semester:

Calculus BC

Philosophy

Quantum Physics I

Comparative Politics

Social Psychology

Computer Programming in SAS

African-American Literature

Advanced French

10th grade Summer

Embryology

Statistics I

11th Grade

1st Semester:

Calculus II

Microbiology

British Literature

Logic I

World Religion

Environmental Chemistry

Organic Chemistry I

2nd Semester:

Calculus III

Environmental History

Asian Literature

Molecular Biology

International Relations

Organic Chemistry II

Quantum Physics II

Intro to Robotics

12th Grade

1st Semester:

Differential Equations

Medicinal Chemistry

French Poetry I

Immunology

Intro to Neuroscience

Logic II

Advanced Robotics

2nd Semester:

Linear Algebra

Immunobiology

Histology

World Politics

Biochemistry

French Poetry II

Sexual and Gender Identities

This is sort of a rough draft but I want to know how it sounds.

Also, do you have any ideas for extra curricular activities within the medical field?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm not sure I can comment on your high school plan. My high school plans usually focussed on asking out particular young women.

As for extra cirricular activities in the medical field:
    - volunteer work in hospitals
    - first aid instructor or attendant (St. John Ambulance, Red Cross, etc.)
    - military work as a medic
    - work with disabled or mentally challenged people
    - just about any long term committment volunteer work looks good

4. Jul 10, 2009 #3

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

some of the stuff you have in there, such as "Calculus AB" and "Calculus BC" are year long courses

5. Jul 10, 2009 #4
    If you can handle it and your school will let you do it, I guess there's nothing wrong with that. I took around 30% of the classes you did, though, and got into a pretty good college with a couple of extracurriculars and a few awards for the state math olympiads.

6. Jul 10, 2009 #5
    Are all these courses offered at your high school? Are you in the U.S.?

7. Jul 10, 2009 #6

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

If he is he can probably take most of them in a CC.

8. Jul 10, 2009 #7
    Yeah what is up with that why is there like hardly any continuity between each semester. Is your high school really that strong at academics that it can teach you whole courses in a semester?

9. Jul 10, 2009 #8

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

I suggest that you don't focus too much on your academics (but of course make sure you maintain the A's), but more than anything else, make sure your extracurricular stuff is like no other.

10. Jul 10, 2009 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Histology and Quantum Physics II? Either times have really changed since I was in school, or this is some really fancy high school! I just remember taking things like basic geography, algebra, social studies, and phys ed.

p.s. You guys are really lucky if you don't have to take phys ed. anymore. We had to take it every year. I still have some scars from dodgeball. :frown:

11. Jul 10, 2009 #10

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

I didn't even read most of the subjects he has listed down, seems like he's been getting way over himself a bit.

12. Jul 10, 2009 #11

Dembadon

Gold Member

Physics I-III with no labs? No chemistry labs either?

I'd like to know the name of this high school. I can't even begin to comprehend the amount of funding this school would need in order to employ individuals who are qualified to teach some of the subjects listed.

Is this a private high school?

I'll be honest with you; I don't understand why you'd need us to confirm whether or not this is a rigorous schedule.

-Robert

13. Jul 10, 2009 #12

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I've never heard of a high school in the U.S. that has courses like French Poetry I and II. :bugeye:

14. Jul 10, 2009 #13
    The secret to getting into a prestigious college is extracurricular activities. Sure, you need good grades and test scores, but almost everyone who applies to prestigious universities has these. The extracurriculars are what make the difference.

So IMHO, you'd probably be much better off taking fewer courses and spending more time volunteering in a hospital.

15. Jul 10, 2009 #14
    Is this for real? I find it rather dubious that the OP would be taking quantum mechanics and calculus BC concurrently. Or Anatomy and Physiology concurrently with biology and chemistry. Or Molecular Biology a full year before organic chemistry.

Assuming the OP is in good faith, that schedule is nigh impossible. Not only are courses taken out of order, the workload itself is immense. To cover 7-9 classes a semester, especially classes that have little to do with one another, would require giving up sleep altogether. I don't even think John Stuart Mill could handle that kind of workload.

16. Jul 10, 2009 #15
    First, have you considered the possibility that you could burn-out after a few semesters?

Second, are you aware that your physics education is very out-of-sync with your math education? You're taking physics I before you even begin calculus and two quantum mechanics courses before taking linear algebra.

17. Jul 10, 2009 #16
    You are right you could, but with the kind of courses the OP listed, he/she could just skip high school and go right to college. I really see nothing stopping them from doing just that....

18. Jul 10, 2009 #17
    I'd just like to point out the ridiculousness of taking quantum physics with only calculus. This will almost certainly end up being a "concept" class where you won't really learn the material.

19. Jul 11, 2009 #18
    :bugeye: I didn't expect so many comments in one day.

1. I am female.

2. The list is still a rough draft, I just wanted your opinions on the classes I have listed as well as any others I should take.

3. Sorry about it being out of sync, I didn't pay that much attention to it. I will increase or decrease the acceleration depending on the class, this is just a generalized plan. Maybe next time the the courses will fit the pre-requisites, lol.

4. I am Homeschooled so I planned on either taking courses at a Community College or getting a private tutor.

5. I will also be taking weakly tennis lessons. Unfortunately I DON'T get out of the P.E requirement :frown:

6. I will be doing school on weekends as well as having a larger workload so that's why it will hopefully only be a semester, although I realize there is still a high possibility that it will take longer.

7. I really just hope to accomplish something at least similar to this. I will change most of the courses accordingly, but I do hope to take 6-8 courses a semester, although I do realize it can be overwhelming so I might drop a course in a semester if that's the case. That or I'll never sleep and just inject caffeine straight into my body, lol.

8. I usually wake up at 5am, at least within the school year, so I was hoping for days possibly around 6am-3pm. Again I am Homeschooled so I don't have to take long lunch breaks, I can just eat Lucky Charms while doing my school. Pi=Magically Delicious.

20. Jul 11, 2009 #19

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

You need to modify that schedule big time. Learning "Quantum Mechanics" while haven't even touching Linear Algebra just sounds way off...

21. Jul 11, 2009 #20
    I will definitely change the physics :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook