What Makes High School Policy Debate an Unforgettable Experience?

In summary, the conversation discussed high school policy debate and the positive effects it has on critical thinking skills. One person mentioned missing this activity and another suggested continuing it with a person they like. The conversation also touched on a personal experience of standing up against a teacher's discriminatory remarks. The question of what a high school policy debate is was also raised.
ehrenfest
Did anyone here participate in high school policy debate? Best activity ever. It makes you think so fast and so cleanly. I miss it so much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
no prblem... even now you can debate with a person you like most.
i think that too will be interesting:)

Well...not exactly. But earlier this year a substitute for my gifted class dropped a "freshman are inexperienced/dumb/etc" remark. I dropped an F bomb right as it got silent in our class. He asked me if I had said what I said, and I just charged on in proving his comments fallacious. It shut him up.

What's a high school policy debate?

What is high school policy debate?

High school policy debate is a competitive activity in which two teams of two debaters each argue for or against a resolution that addresses a current social or political issue. It involves extensive research, critical thinking, and persuasive speaking skills.

How does high school policy debate work?

High school policy debate follows a specific format known as the "policy" or "cross-examination" format. Each team is given a set amount of time to present their arguments and rebuttals. The debate is judged by a panel of judges who evaluate the teams' arguments, evidence, and speaking abilities.

What is the purpose of high school policy debate?

The purpose of high school policy debate is to develop students' critical thinking, research, and communication skills. It also encourages students to engage in current social and political issues, and to become more informed and active citizens.

What skills do students gain from participating in high school policy debate?

Participating in high school policy debate helps students develop a wide range of skills, including research, critical thinking, public speaking, teamwork, time management, and organization. It also improves students' confidence, ability to construct and defend arguments, and understanding of complex social and political issues.

What are some common debate topics in high school policy debate?

The topics for high school policy debate change every year and are chosen by national organizations such as the National Speech and Debate Association and National Catholic Forensic League. Some recent topics have included gun control, immigration policy, and energy policy.