What should I expect from High School Programming?

In summary: Python is free, unlike VB.Net, it forces you to use cood programming techniques (like formating and stuff), and the syntax is pretty easy to learn.not to mention is is a scripting language so it gives quick feedback.
Dagenais
Don't know if this is in the right topic, but it must be close.

I'm starting a new programming course in High School soon. It's called "Intro To Programming", and teaches use of VB.net.

I figure it is an easy course, since I did do a bit of programming prior. Plus, I've heard classes like these in High School are extremely simple.

Any hints before I start the course? How did you like VB.net (Visual Basic)?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You'll get a lot of negatives from people who are sold on object oriented languages like C++ or Java, but in my opinion VB.Net is a fine and useful language.

I've used VB before. Its not great if you want to make a complicated program. I still kinda like it. I use it ever now and then to make a quick little program here and there. I'm going to say that you should go with C++ or Java just because you will end up using them a lot more than VB and they are both a lot more powerfull.

kenikov, although there is nothing wrong teaching VB in an intro to programming class, I think you should focus on how to formulate requirements and develop algorithms. The reason I say this is because I see to many college students clueless in the mechanics of HOW their programs work. They seem to just put a bunch of code together and call it a program. My philosophy about programming is that it isn't important what language you write your programs in, all that matters is the logic that goes into it to make programs work. Personally, If I was the teacher I would rather have the class write all their programs in psuedo code and really understand what they are doing, rather then sitting infront of a computer punching keys.

I agree

I would rather them teach Python, I'm familiar with that, and it is more robust.

I think it does matter what language he teaches. Microsoft is probably going to dump VB soon, or at least change the name BASIC.

The thing he teaches has to be simple yet useful and introduce the fundamentals of programming...

Perl?

Anyways, I attended it for the first time today. Just a bunch of cocky High Schoolers who say they all program.

HTML and Javascript.

It's going to be one long, crappy semester.

VB...oye

VB is a hacked together language, IMHO.

Why thye don't teach Python for an into class is beyond me...Python is free, unlike VB.Net, it forces you to use cood programming techniques (like formating and stuff), and the syntax is pretty easy to learn.

not to mention is is a scripting language so it gives quick feedback.

VB is a horrable language to learn from.

Hi, kenikov,
I also agree with dduardo.
Algorithms are much more important than anyother programming languages. If you know anything in psudocodes...you can then transfer them in anyother language you know or you choice :)

Better concentrate on the program flows, algorthms, maths needed for doing programming and READ BOOKS :)

If I was the teacher I would rather have the class write all their programs in psuedo code and really understand what they are doing, rather then sitting infront of a computer punching keys.

I think that, although pseudo code may be a good way for the teacher to see if his/her students understand the logic of their programs, it is rather boring for children. Instead, I believe that by using a real programming language to learn the foundamentals of programming and produce a functional program, students will feel more confident with their skills and enthousiastic about programming.
However, it is not a bad idea that students are periodically given the transformation of their code from real language code to pseudo code as a task.

But it's true that to different Programming Languages have different function and library sets...students should know...the similiarities and differences among different languages!

Originally posted by modmans2ndcoming
VB is a hacked together language, IMHO.

Why thye don't teach Python for an into class is beyond me...Python is free, unlike VB.Net, it forces you to use cood programming techniques (like formating and stuff), and the syntax is pretty easy to learn.

not to mention is is a scripting language so it gives quick feedback.

VB is a horrable language to learn from.

I already know Python, so that class teaching it would not benefit me.

The reason my school teaches VB.net is because it is highly Microsoft oriented. Everything at my school is somewhat related to Microsoft.

Originally posted by kenikov
The reason my school teaches VB.net is because it is highly Microsoft oriented. Everything at my school is somewhat related to Microsoft.

Which dduardo doesn't like :wink:

Well, my school is in WA, USA. I just put Canada as my location here since it is my nationality.

Everything is Microsoft. We have a required class in 9th grade that teaches Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Powerpoint.

A huge project at the end of 9th grade requires a Microsoft Powerpoint presentation.

I did the project on, "Why not to use Microsoft."

Then, how many "Why not"s you've got so far?

For some reason, I thought you were going to be the one teaching the class...

Originally posted by enigma
For some reason, I thought you were going to be the one teaching the class...

Are you pointing to me sir Enigma?

For some reason, I thought you were going to be the one teaching the class

I can't say it would be that difficult.

I could probably do it if I read through the book. At least better than the way it has been taught so far...

What is high school programming?

High school programming refers to the process of teaching students in high school how to code and develop computer programs. This can include learning programming languages such as Java, Python, or HTML, as well as problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

Why is high school programming important?

High school programming is important because it teaches students valuable skills that are highly sought after in today's job market. It also helps students to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in many fields.

What are the benefits of learning high school programming?

Learning high school programming can have numerous benefits, including improving logical thinking and problem-solving abilities, preparing students for future careers in technology, and enhancing creativity and innovation.

Do I need any prior knowledge to learn high school programming?

No, you do not need any prior knowledge to learn high school programming. Most high school programming courses are designed for beginners and will start with the basics of coding and programming concepts.

What programming languages are typically taught in high school programming courses?

The programming languages taught in high school programming courses can vary, but some common languages include Java, Python, and HTML. The specific language(s) taught may also depend on the curriculum and resources available at the school.