Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High school project

1. Dec 11, 2006 #1
    hi. my name is corey, and for my high school project, my group and i are trying to incorporate RFID tags into the lock and ignition system in automobiles. we are having truoble building/designing the RF tags. any feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Tell us what you know already about RFID tags. How many different types are there (I mean, how many different kinds of RF schemes are used)? Specifically which type of RFID do you want to use? What frequency do you want to use? Are your tags passive, active, or RF-powered? What information do you want to have the RFID tags return?

4. Dec 12, 2006 #3
    we know a little bit about rf tags, mainly how they work and what they do. we are leaning towards using an active capacitively coupled rf tag.

5. Dec 12, 2006 #4

berkeman

Do you have a web pointer to the "capacitively coupled RF tag" technology?

6. Dec 12, 2006 #5

es1

Also, what do you know about the lock and ignition system in automobiles?

Personally I know practically nothing about them but I would hope they were hard to tamper with which may complicate your project. But perhaps the older the car is the easier they are to modify. Anyway, I suspect actually patching it into the car will be the most difficult part so you might want to spend a little time doing research to see if this is even feasible with your particular make and model of auto.

7. Dec 12, 2006 #6

berkeman

Oh yeah, and what method and level of encryption are you incorporating?

8. Dec 12, 2006 #7

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:smile:

I am sure berkeman is not intending to scare you away. We'd just like to
    see what kind of background information you have gathered. For a high school project, understanding the rudiments of RFID and implementing a basic application is commendable.

Perhaps you can layout for us what you have so far and what you intend to do next.

9. Dec 12, 2006 #8

berkeman

Oopsies, thanks Ouabache. I spaced the part in the OP where it was a high school project. I just re-read the application (car ignition lock) and had an "oh yeah" thought. :blushing:

10. Dec 13, 2006 #9
    haha yea. so far we dont know alot about rf tags, but do have a basic understanding on how they work. we are planning on using an active capacitively coupled RF tag and reciever to unlock a car and start it when the rf tag comes within 5 feet of the receiver, which will probably be located in the glove compartment or next to the fuse box.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?