Should I Change My High School Senior Project to Something Related to Physics?

In summary, a senior project at your high school can involve writing a book or doing a presentation on a physics recent event.
Biscuit
So at my high school we have to do a senior project. My initial plan was to write a book and then a piano song to go with it but I'm having second thoughts. Although mine is plenty difficult enough I see people doing internships and all this stuff that looks great on a college app. For example, my friend is mentoring at a chemical engineer and he's just going to write about it. I intend on majoring physics and now I just feel like I'm wasting my time writing a book. I feel like I should do something that looks good for colleges and is based around physics. Does anyone have any ideas for such a thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Biscuit said:
So at my high school we have to do a senior project. My initial plan was to write a book and then a piano song to go with it but I'm having second thoughts. Although mine is plenty difficult enough I see people doing internships and all this stuff that looks great on a college app. For example, my friend is mentoring at a chemical engineer and he's just going to write about it. I intend on majoring physics and now I just feel like I'm wasting my time writing a book. I feel like I should do something that looks good for colleges and is based around physics. Does anyone have any ideas for such a thing?
You could do a paper and poster session presentation on some interesting physics recent event. LIke, you could do it on the controversy and eventual resolution of the FTL Neutrino controversy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light_neutrino_anomaly

It was pretty controversial while it was going on, with potentially large ramifications in our understanding of physics. The final answer/resolution turned out to be much more pedestrian, but how it was figured out and verified makes for some pretty interesting story telling. :smile:

Doing a paper and poster presentation like this would look good on your college applications as well.

BTW, when doing a paper like this, be sure to include a number of references to the materials that you read when writing the paper. The more professional you can make the paper, the better it will serve you. :smile:

berkeman said:
You could do a paper and poster session presentation on some interesting physics recent event. LIke, you could do it on the controversy and eventual resolution of the FTL Neutrino controversy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light_neutrino_anomaly

It was pretty controversial while it was going on, with potentially large ramifications in our understanding of physics. The final answer/resolution turned out to be much more pedestrian, but how it was figured out and verified makes for some pretty interesting story telling. :smile:

Doing a paper and poster presentation like this would look good on your college applications as well.
Interesting idea I never really thought about doing something like that. Most people tend to do something like starting a club. I have to write a paper to go with the project anyways but I think just discussing news in physics would actually be really interesting thanks for the idea.

There was also another controversy involving neutrinos back in the 1960s that was very interesting, but it's probably of less interest now since it was a long time ago -- The Solar Neutrino Mystery:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_neutrino_problem

But I think the recent FTL neutrino problem is probably a better candidate for your paper. It's recent enough that it is fresh in people's minds, and anything that involves the possibility of FTL piques people's interest... :smile:

berkeman said:
There was also another controversy involving neutrinos back in the 1960s that was very interesting, but it's probably of less interest now since it was a long time ago -- The Solar Neutrino Mystery:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_neutrino_problem

But I think the recent FTL neutrino problem is probably a better candidate for your paper. It's recent enough that it is fresh in people's minds, and anything that involves the possibility of FTL piques people's interest... :smile:
I might just end up discussing the history of neutrinos and go into detail on the controversy they cause as I approach that point in time.

Be sure to check out how we make neutrino detectors. Pretty amazing stuff! :smile:

berkeman said:
Be sure to check out how we make neutrino detectors. Pretty amazing stuff! :smile:
Now reading over this it seems there was just a fault in the machinery. Still interesting and I might do it, but I also might try to do a board on some discovery that way I have something to build up to in terms of structuring my paper.

Biscuit said:
Now reading over this it seems there was just a fault in the machinery. Still interesting and I might do it, but I also might try to do a board on some discovery that way I have something to build up to in terms of structuring my paper.
Something like the Higgs.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a high school senior project?

A high school senior project is a culminating academic assignment that requires students to demonstrate their knowledge, skills, and abilities in a particular subject or area of study. It is often a long-term, independent project that allows students to explore a topic of their choice in depth.

2. Why is a high school senior project important?

A high school senior project is important because it allows students to apply the knowledge and skills they have acquired throughout their high school education to a real-world project. It also helps students develop critical thinking, research, and time management skills, which are essential for success in college and beyond.

3. How do students choose a topic for their senior project?

Students can choose a topic for their senior project based on their interests, passions, or future career goals. They can also seek guidance from their teachers, mentors, or family members to help them select a topic that aligns with their strengths and goals.

4. What is the timeline for completing a senior project?

The timeline for completing a senior project may vary depending on the school or district's specific requirements. However, most senior projects span over the course of one school year, typically beginning in the fall and ending in the spring. Students are expected to dedicate a significant amount of time and effort to their project throughout the year.

5. How is a high school senior project evaluated?

A high school senior project is typically evaluated based on a set of criteria, such as the quality of the research, the presentation of the project, and the overall impact and significance of the project. The evaluation process may involve a panel of judges, including teachers, administrators, and community members, who assess the project and provide feedback to the student.