1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other High school senior project

1. Aug 31, 2016 #1
    So at my high school we have to do a senior project. My initial plan was to write a book and then a piano song to go with it but I'm having second thoughts. Although mine is plenty difficult enough I see people doing internships and all this stuff that looks great on a college app. For example, my friend is mentoring at a chemical engineer and he's just going to write about it. I intend on majoring physics and now I just feel like I'm wasting my time writing a book. I feel like I should do something that looks good for colleges and is based around physics. Does anyone have any ideas for such a thing?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You could do a paper and poster session presentation on some interesting physics recent event. LIke, you could do it on the controversy and eventual resolution of the FTL Neutrino controversy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light_neutrino_anomaly

It was pretty controversial while it was going on, with potentially large ramifications in our understanding of physics. The final answer/resolution turned out to be much more pedestrian, but how it was figured out and verified makes for some pretty interesting story telling. :smile:

Doing a paper and poster presentation like this would look good on your college applications as well.

4. Aug 31, 2016 #3

berkeman

BTW, when doing a paper like this, be sure to include a number of references to the materials that you read when writing the paper. The more professional you can make the paper, the better it will serve you. :smile:

5. Aug 31, 2016 #4
    Interesting idea I never really thought about doing something like that. Most people tend to do something like starting a club. I have to write a paper to go with the project anyways but I think just discussing news in physics would actually be really interesting thanks for the idea.

6. Aug 31, 2016 #5

berkeman

There was also another controversy involving neutrinos back in the 1960s that was very interesting, but it's probably of less interest now since it was a long time ago -- The Solar Neutrino Mystery:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_neutrino_problem

But I think the recent FTL neutrino problem is probably a better candidate for your paper. It's recent enough that it is fresh in people's minds, and anything that involves the possibility of FTL piques people's interest... :smile:

7. Aug 31, 2016 #6
    I might just end up discussing the history of neutrinos and go into detail on the controversy they cause as I approach that point in time.

8. Aug 31, 2016 #7

berkeman

Be sure to check out how we make neutrino detectors. Pretty amazing stuff! :smile:

9. Aug 31, 2016 #8
    Now reading over this it seems there was just a fault in the machinery. Still interesting and I might do it, but I also might try to do a board on some discovery that way I have something to build up to in terms of structuring my paper.

10. Aug 31, 2016 #9
    Something like the Higgs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted