High school student doing college physics

In summary, an high school student is starting grade 11 this year and has been interested in physics since class 6. In grade 9 and 10, they read and solved problems from Resnick, halliday, and walker's book (which they think is a undergraduate book, but it's actually an advanced book). They learned calculus (integration, differentiation, and solving simple differential equations), trigonometry, higher algebra, and geometry side by side with physics. Now they are in confusion about how to proceed from here. Should they strengthen their problem solving skills and go for the international physics olympiad (if yes, how to prepare for it), or should they continue studying more advanced undergraduate physics books (if yes, please suggest
narayan.rocks
I am an high school student starting grade 11 this year . I have been interested in physics since class 6 and i have been studying advanced physics since then . IN grade 9 and 10 i have read and solved problems from Resnick,halliday and walker's book ( which i think is a undergrad book isn't it? ) and i completed it .
I learned calculus( integration , differentiation and solving simple differential equations and nothing more) , trigonometry , higher algebra and geometry side by side with physics .
Now I am in confusion about how to proceed from here . Should i strengthen my problem solving skills and go for the international physics olympiad ( if yes how to prepare for it)
or should i continue studying advanced undergrad physics books( if yes , please suggest any good books )
Any guidance would be really helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep practicing your math and strengthening your problem solving skills. This will reinforce your knowledge and make you better at the math and so the physics. You need a solid background in the math before delving into even more complex physics.

suggest any good books to study math for physics.

any other suggestions or guidance??

Why you are reading college level physics in high school if it is just for getting ahead to others then
1.Revise the Fundamentals of Physics to Perfection.
2.Lang's Basic Mathematics or Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Kreyszig.
3.Don't go very higher, Just do Kleppnar Mechanics and Purcell Electrodynamics. For Modern Physics Krane or visit here PF Physics/Astronomy Textbook Discussion.

If the above looks you insufficient and want to do even higher, then include
1.Mathematical Methods for Physical Sciences by Mary Boas
2.Schaum's Outline of Vector Analysis.
3.Spivak Calculus
4.Marion & Thornton Mechanics and Griffiths Electrodynamics.and Quantum Mechanics by Liboff.

Keep Studying till Perfection. Best Wishes

Snow-Leopard.

In addition to what everyone else has said, I would suggest International Physics Olympiad if it is something you are interested in. Problems in General Physics by Irodov is a good book for this. The text and solutions are available online on some obscure sites (extremely expensive book, would not suggest buying; also, very rare).

If you decide to go to school after high school, I would not suggest studying any further than the introductory physics that you have already studied. You might get bored or burned out if you do. I do disagree with Snow-Leapord's suggestion of a calculus text. I find Courant or Apostol geared more towards a physicist than a mathematician (especially Courant). Although, let your interests dictate whether you want Courant/Apostol or Spivak. Div, Curl, and All That is also a good text in addition to Schaum's Outline of Vector Analysis.

thankyou everyone . any other suggestions please

Last edited:
Olympiad is for people who are interested in spending countless hours on the same questions for months and months. You can't do advanced books yet, you don't have the maths - You would need linear algebra and much more calculus than just single-variable.

how much math would i need and which books should i refer

narayan.rocks said:
If you are preparing for/ going to prepare Physics Olympiad then go your countries national physics olympiad page. In USA it is AAPT.https://aapt.org/physicsteam/2013/
They have some recommended text go through it.

narayan.rocks said:

It'd take you probably a 6 -12 months depending on your study habit. You'll need Linear Algebra, much more calculus and differential equations for much more advanced physics. For the Olympiad you need maximum the maths you have now.

narayan.rocks if you want to directly jump to College level Physics then Schaum's Outline give you great help as a basic college level books, try these
Schaum's Outline of Mathematics for Physics Students.& Outline of E&M & Outline of Modern Physics or Quantum Mechanics.

There is also a book for Calculus in series, Calculus 3000 solved Problems.

Keep Studying till Perfection. Best Wishes

Snow-Leopard.

What is the difference between high school and college physics?

High school physics covers fundamental concepts and theories, while college physics delves deeper into advanced concepts and applications. College physics also requires a higher level of mathematical proficiency and critical thinking skills.

What are the challenges high school students face when taking college physics?

Some of the challenges high school students may face when taking college physics include adjusting to a faster pace of learning, managing a heavier workload, and understanding more complex material. They may also struggle with the higher level of mathematical and analytical skills required.

What are some tips for success in college physics as a high school student?

Some tips for success in college physics as a high school student include staying organized and managing your time effectively, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, and practicing regularly to improve your understanding of concepts and problem-solving skills.

Can high school students receive college credit for taking physics courses?

Yes, depending on the college or university, high school students may be able to receive college credit for taking physics courses. This may be through Advanced Placement (AP) exams, dual enrollment programs, or other credit-by-exam options.

What are some potential benefits of taking college physics as a high school student?

Some potential benefits of taking college physics as a high school student include gaining a head start on college-level coursework, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and potentially saving time and money by earning college credit early.