Exploring the Mysteries of Gravitational Waves: A High School Thesis in Physics

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for help with a research project in an astronomy course. They are unsure of what topic to focus on and mention wanting to impress their teacher to potentially get a letter of recommendation. Black holes are mentioned as a potential topic of interest. The conversation also briefly mentions the difference between a thesis and a research project, and suggests looking into gravitational waves as a potential topic.
Chahunda
Hello, I didn't know if this is the right place for this question but here it is. I have a thesis due by June sometime. The thesis is in an astronomy course so I would like to do something on physics. I have just started learning the basics and would like to impress the teacher (this might help me get a letter of recommendation from him, he rarely gives them). The thing is, is that I don't know what to write my thesis on, or what I need to study to be able to do that. I would like to do something on black holes as I find them interesting but hopefully you guys can help me out. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you have to write a thesis? A thesis is arguments that supports a particular interpretation of scientific facts. That is you are trying to prove to the reader that your idea is the correct one.

No, sorry it is not a thesis, but a research project. I would like to impress him but don't have the physics background I think I need. I'm just completely lost as to what to do.

Last edited:
Welcome to the PF.

Have you read much about gravitational waves? They certainly are a timely topic... :smile:

1. What is a High School Thesis in Physics?

A High School Thesis in Physics is a research project that high school students undertake to explore a specific topic in the field of physics. It is a written document that presents the students' findings, analysis, and conclusions based on their research.

2. How do I choose a topic for my High School Thesis in Physics?

Choosing a topic for your High School Thesis in Physics can be a challenging task. It is important to choose a topic that interests you and is relevant to current advancements in the field of physics. You can also consult with your physics teacher or a mentor for guidance and suggestions.

3. What is the structure of a High School Thesis in Physics?

A High School Thesis in Physics typically follows a similar structure to a scientific research paper. It includes an abstract, introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. It also includes references and citations to support the arguments and findings.

4. How do I conduct research for my High School Thesis in Physics?

To conduct research for your High School Thesis in Physics, you can use a variety of resources such as books, scientific journals, online databases, and interviews with experts. It is important to critically evaluate the sources and cite them properly in your thesis.

5. How long does a High School Thesis in Physics need to be?

The length of a High School Thesis in Physics may vary depending on your school's requirements. However, it is usually between 8-12 pages, excluding the references and citations. It is important to follow the guidelines provided by your school and focus on the quality of your research rather than the length.