Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High-Speed Blender

1. Jul 5, 2009 #1
    a thought crossed my mind a few days ago. i wondered if you had water in an extremely high speed blender, would the friction between all the water molecules cause the water to heat up?..any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Tom

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just stirring water with a spoon will cause it to warm slightly. How much heat are you wanting?

4. Jul 5, 2009 #3
    The total amount of heat transfered to the water would be the work done of the water by the blades of the blender. Work is force times distance.

W=Fd

If the blades are going quickly, they obviously travel quite a distance. However, the blades are oriented to slice through the water, so the force of the water on the blades is low. If you wanted to heat the water, paddles would be easier than blades

5. Jul 6, 2009 #4
    for now, i didnt want to experiment. it was only a theoretical question.and i am familar with heat and work, ect. equations.

6. Jul 6, 2009 #5
    *et cetera

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook