Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High speed electric motor

1. Jul 24, 2010 #1

GT1

I'm looking for a electric motor that works at speeds higher then 10000RPM and 0.2 N*m. Which companies manufacture such high speed motors?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2010 #2
    I don't know for certain, but some hard drives have motors in that speed range. Unfortunately I don't know any specifics on how to obtain one without obtaining it yourself. (ie. deconstruction)

Also I am not sure how much torque a hard drive motor is capable of. Good place to start though!

4. Jul 27, 2010 #3
    10,000 RPM is nothing, I have a few brushless DC motors capable of 50,000 or more (depending on load) and they have high-torque too. They work at about 12 volts and draw 15 amps continuously. Weigh under 80 grams too. I use them for RC airplanes.

The trick is you need a digital speed controller for these, you can't just supply a potential.

5. Jul 31, 2010 #4

GT1

What is the manufacturer name of those motors?

6. Jul 31, 2010 #5
    There are lots.
    http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-262.html

I had 1 Himax and they're good quality but expensive. There are also some Chinese brands that work well and are much cheaper. Have to wait 2 weeks for shipping though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook