Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High speed train aerodynamics

1. May 1, 2006 #1
    Hi, can anyone please tell me any good book on the subject, even any research paper will do, we are actually doing summer project in which we are estimating the drag coefficient on the bluff body like train Coach, using commercial softwares like Fluent n Gambit.Please if anyone has the info regarding the high speeed aerodynamics then pls share it with me

Thanks
    regards
    Himanshu

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2006 #2

mpm

4. May 3, 2006 #3

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hope the OP wants to do something more elaborated. I still don't see where is the aerodynamics in your link. There are only tables and coefficients.

I am not an expert in hs train aerodyn, but as far as I know there is currently one issue of interest. HS trains get usually in troubles when passing through tunnels. That's because of the compression wave which travels in the air standing inside the tunnel casued when the train gets in. That wave breaks the aerodynamic performance of the train. Even though the wave may travel faster than the train, the successive reflections at the end of the tunnel flow again over the train. In fact that's a nice problem of propagation along characteristics and Riemann invariants.

5. May 10, 2006 #4
    thnks for info clausius

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?