High Strength Steel with Corrosion Resistance and High Toughness

In summary, Custom 465 stainless steel is a premium double vacuum-melted, martensitic, age-hardenable alloy that offers a unique combination of high strength, toughness, and corrosion resistance. It is capable of achieving ultimate tensile strength in excess of 250 ksi (1722 MPa) when aged at 950°F (H950 condition). This strength is higher than that of any other historically available precipitation-hardenable stainless steel long product. Custom 465 is an alternative to 17-4 PH steel, with more than twice the impact resistance. Its composition includes 11-12.5% chromium, 10.8-11.3% nickel, 0.8-1.2% moly
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
I periodically browse the literature for new products. In the August 2006 issue of Advanced Materials & Process (from ASM International), I found an article on a new high strength steel from Carpenter Technology Corp. (Cartech)

Cartech Custom 465 (find it at www.cartech.com)

Custom 465 stainless steel is a premium double vacuum-melted, martensitic, age-hardenable alloy that offers a unique combination of high strength, toughness, and corrosion resistance. It is capable of ultimate tensile strength in excess of 250 ksi (1722 MPa) when aged at 950°F (H950 condition). This strength is higher than that of any other historically available precipitation-hardenable stainless steel long product. Aging temperatures ranging from 950 to 1050°F can be selected to achieve the balance of strength, toughness, and resistance to stress-corrosion cracking needed for specific applications.

The H950 condition is the most common treatment for achieving higher strength together with good toughness and excellent notch tensile strength. The H1000 condition may be chosen for higher toughness at a slightly lower strength level. This condition provides a superior combination of strength, toughness, fabricability, and resistance to stress-corrosion cracking.

Custom 465 is an alternative to 17-4 PH steel, with more than twice the impact resistance as 17-4 PH

Composition (w/o)

Cr: 11-12.5
Ni: 10.8-11.3
Mo: 0.8-1.2
Ti: 1.5-1.8
Fe: bal

See US Patents: 5681528, 5855844

- Marine engine shafts
Howard Arneson is known for groundbreaking marine racing designs such as the famous Arneson surface drive propulsion system. He knew he was pushing material limits when he harnessed a 4500-hp Lycoming gas turbine, like those in U.S. Army helicopters, to just one propeller shaft in his newest catamaran racing boat. This is three times the power load that is normally applied to a marine propulsion shaft.

Zeiger Industries of Canton, Ohio, was asked to fabricate the propeller shaft from 17Cr-4Ni PH stainless steel. The finished shaft measured 40 inches long by 2.5 inches in the center, tapering down to 1-7/8 inch at both ends. After careful installation of the shaft, the powerful racer was taken for a test cruise on the Pacific Ocean. Following 50 hours of running time at speeds around 100 mph, the shaft broke off, dropping to the bottom of the sea with its propeller.

A new shaft made from Custom 465 was produced and placed into the catamaran. The engine was tested under exceedingly severe loading conditions. The initial test involved accelerating the catamaran to 100 mph in just 12 seconds, which was accomplished successfully. The catamaran was then accelerated to 175 mph, and held for several hours at that speed. For approximately four months, the catamaran was cruised at sustained high speeds, 50 to 100 miles at a time, several times a week, without any trace of a problem.

After this extended period of intense service, the propeller was removed and no marks or signs of wear were found even where the propeller engages the spline. This serves to illustrate the advantages of 465 over other PH stainless alloys, as it matches them in resistance to stress corrosion cracking while providing markedly higher strength.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Astro said:
Custom 465 stainless steel is a premium double vacuum-melted, martensitic, age-hardenable alloy that offers a unique combination of high strength, toughness, and corrosion resistance. It is capable of ultimate tensile strength in excess of 250 ksi (1722 MPa) when aged at 950°F (H950 condition).
Holy cow - 250 ksi in a stainless? That's like a maraging steel! Amazing!

:bugeye: ... got to get some of that and try how it breaks & fails.

I've used a fair amount of the custom alloys, especially 450. 465 has been around a bit. MMPDS has it listed in it's references, but the predescessor, MIL-HDBK-5H didn't.

I really wonder what they were thinking of when making a highly loaded shaft out of 17-4. That is not the best pick, especially with splines. My first selection would have been Inco 718.

Gokul43201 said:
Holy cow - 250 ksi in a stainless? That's like a maraging steel! Amazing!
Composition and thermo-mechanical processing.

I don't know how well 718 would have held up in seawater.

I was wondering wondering how well AL-6XN® alloy (UNS N08367) would do. This is a specialty steel by Allegheny Ludlum for marine applications like landing gear on naval aircraft.

A lot of our shafts are 718 and they have to survive operating is salty environments. However they get the advantage of not having been completely immersed constantly over a period of time. I think I'll have to look into that part.

Astronuc said:
I periodically browse the literature for new products. In the August 2006 issue of Advanced Materials & Process (from ASM International), I found an article on a new high strength steel from Carpenter Technology Corp. (Cartech)

Cartech Custom 465 (find it at www.cartech.com)

Custom 465 is an alternative to 17-4 PH steel, with more than twice the impact resistance as 17-4 PH

Composition (w/o)

Cr: 11-12.5
Ni: 10.8-11.3
Mo: 0.8-1.2
Ti: 1.5-1.8
Fe: bal

See US Patents: 5681528, 5855844

- Marine engine shafts

I wonder how the fabrication characteristics of 465 compare to 17-4 , in terms of shrinkage and warping during heat treat?

aslats said:
I wonder how the fabrication characteristics of 465 compare to 17-4 , in terms of shrinkage and warping during heat treat?

See the Custom 465 datasheet and look for 'Average Size Change (Contraction)' under Heat Treatment
http://www.cartech.com/techcenter.aspx?id=1692&searchtext=Custom%20465

What is high strength steel with corrosion resistance and high toughness?

High strength steel with corrosion resistance and high toughness is a type of steel that has been specially designed to possess both high strength and resistance to corrosion, while also maintaining a high level of toughness. This type of steel is often used in industries where extreme conditions are present, such as in construction, transportation, and oil and gas.

What makes high strength steel with corrosion resistance and high toughness different from other types of steel?

High strength steel with corrosion resistance and high toughness differs from other types of steel due to its unique chemical composition and manufacturing process. It typically contains a higher percentage of alloys, such as chromium, nickel, and molybdenum, which give it its strength and corrosion resistance properties. The manufacturing process also involves controlled cooling, which helps to increase the steel's toughness.

What are the benefits of using high strength steel with corrosion resistance and high toughness?

There are several benefits to using high strength steel with corrosion resistance and high toughness. Firstly, it has a higher strength-to-weight ratio, meaning it can withstand heavy loads without being too heavy itself. It also has excellent resistance to corrosion, which helps to prevent the steel from rusting and deteriorating over time. Additionally, its high toughness makes it less likely to crack or break under stress, making it a reliable choice for structural applications.

In what industries is high strength steel with corrosion resistance and high toughness commonly used?

High strength steel with corrosion resistance and high toughness is commonly used in industries such as construction, transportation, oil and gas, and marine engineering. In construction, it can be used for high-rise buildings, bridges, and stadiums, where strength and corrosion resistance are essential. In transportation, it is often used for the construction of vehicles and aircraft. In the oil and gas industry, it is used for pipelines and offshore structures, where corrosion resistance is crucial. And in marine engineering, it is used for shipbuilding and offshore platforms.

What are the challenges of working with high strength steel with corrosion resistance and high toughness?

While high strength steel with corrosion resistance and high toughness offers many benefits, there are also some challenges associated with working with this type of steel. The high alloy content and specialized manufacturing process make it more expensive than other types of steel. It also requires specialized equipment and expertise for welding and shaping, which can add to the overall cost. Additionally, the high strength and toughness of the steel can make it more challenging to machine and form, requiring specialized tools and techniques.