Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'High' Temerpature superconductivity

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    What is 'High' Temperature superconductivity?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Based on what I've heard...

Superconductivity can only be achieved at incredibly low temperatures (low to mid double digit Kelvin temperatures). High temperature superconductivity is superconductivity that can be achieved at or near room temperature.

4. Oct 30, 2005 #3
    Not at. Highest critical temperature is (IIRC) still over 100K under room temperature. If you have more specific questions I'm sure Zz can answer those.

5. Oct 30, 2005 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

"High" temperature superconductors are those achieving superconducitivity at Tc greater than 50 K. That's all.

Why 50 K? It's arbitrary. It was thought that Tc couldn't go beyond 35 or 40 K at best before 1986. Then the cuprate superconductors were discovered and all hell broke loose.

Zz.

6. Oct 30, 2005 #5

Mk

Oh really? I thought it was only part of hell...

7. Oct 30, 2005 #6
    The term HTS may also refer to a particular class of superconductors, which demonstrates high critical temperature (actually, there is only one) But this particular materials may be called HTS even if they have rather low critical temperature. They are called so to emphasize that they have a crystal structure and a superconducting mechanism similar to their relatives. These materials are usually very poor conductors in their nonsuperconducting state and very brittle. Their mechanical characteristics are similar to those of ceramics and they have a layered crystal structure. Sometimes they are called "bad" metals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?