High temperature flexible seal

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a flexible sealing element in a high temperature environment of 500 degrees Celsius. The element must prevent particles and liquids from passing through while allowing the motion of a moving object. The conversation also explores different options such as using opposing paint brushes or a movable seal for splash protection.
yanikomer
I am working on a project where I need a high temperature sealing element. You can see the system in the attachment.

My moving object is moving linearly in a motion slot which is constructed on a sheet metal plate. But the surrounding temperature in this process is 500 C degree and there must be a flexible sealing element which does not let any particules or liquid material (oil etc.) to the behind of the sheet metal plate. As you see in the photo, I want the clearance between moving object and the sealing element as small as possible.

Does anyone know such a flexible sealing element that I can use in such a high temperature level and it also allows the motion of the moving object?

Thanks
yanikomer

Attachments

• High_temp_seal.JPG
    High_temp_seal.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 524
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this seal meant to hold the pressure of a fluid? Or does it just need to provide a physical barrier, e.g., splash protection?

Yeah it is just for splash protection.

If it's just splash protection, something set up like opposing paint brushes might work out pretty well. You see guards like that on the lever-style emergency brakes of some cars. You're a bit below the melting point of Aluminum, so it might be an option. Problem is, you're going to be hard-pressed to find a good metal that won't oxidize over time, if this is in an oxygen-containing environment. 500C is hot, and a lot of things are mobile at that temp.

What about a movable seal? In the drawing you have, it specifies that the seal be a stationary thing. Does it have to be? I think it would be much easier to have the seal move along with your object, if it's guarding something behind it. It just depends on the other parts of your design spec.

I understand the importance of finding a high temperature flexible seal for your project. Based on the information provided, I would recommend looking into using a high temperature silicone-based sealant or gasket. Silicone is known for its ability to withstand high temperatures and can also maintain flexibility, making it suitable for your application. Additionally, silicone is resistant to oils and other liquids, ensuring that no particles or liquids can pass through the seal.

Another option to consider would be using a graphite-based seal. Graphite has excellent thermal resistance and can withstand temperatures up to 3000 C degrees. It also has good flexibility and sealing properties, making it a suitable choice for your project.

It is important to note that when working with high temperatures, it is essential to choose a sealant or gasket that is specifically designed for those conditions. It is also important to properly install and maintain the seal to ensure its effectiveness. I recommend consulting with a materials engineer or conducting further research to determine the best sealing element for your specific project. Best of luck with your project.

1. What is a high temperature flexible seal?

A high temperature flexible seal is a type of seal or gasket that is designed to withstand extreme temperatures, typically above 500°F. It is used to prevent leaks or contamination in high temperature environments, such as in industrial equipment or engines.

2. What materials are used to make high temperature flexible seals?

High temperature flexible seals are commonly made from materials such as silicone, fluorocarbon (Viton), or graphite. These materials have high heat resistance and can maintain their flexibility even at high temperatures.

3. How are high temperature flexible seals installed?

The installation process for high temperature flexible seals can vary depending on the specific application and type of seal. In general, the seal is placed between two surfaces and compressed to create a tight seal. Some seals may also require adhesives or additional support for proper installation.

4. What are the benefits of using high temperature flexible seals?

The main benefit of using high temperature flexible seals is their ability to withstand extreme temperatures without compromising their sealing capabilities. This can help prevent leaks and contamination, which can be costly and dangerous in certain industries. Additionally, these seals are often more durable and can last longer than traditional seals.

5. Are there any limitations to using high temperature flexible seals?

While high temperature flexible seals are highly effective in extreme temperature environments, they may not be suitable for all applications. Some limitations may include compatibility with certain chemicals or fluids, as well as the need for frequent replacement in high-stress environments. It is important to carefully consider the specific requirements of your application before selecting a high temperature flexible seal.