High temperature flexible seal

• Thread starter yanikomer
  • Start date
I am working on a project where I need a high temperature sealing element. You can see the system in the attachment.

My moving object is moving linearly in a motion slot which is constructed on a sheet metal plate. But the surrounding temperature in this process is 500 C degree and there must be a flexible sealing element which does not let any particules or liquid material (oil etc.) to the behind of the sheet metal plate. As you see in the photo, I want the clearance between moving object and the sealing element as small as possible.

Does anyone know such a flexible sealing element that I can use in such a high temperature level and it also allows the motion of the moving object?

Thanks
yanikomer

Attachments

• High_temp_seal.JPG
    High_temp_seal.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 455

Answers and Replies

Is this seal meant to hold the pressure of a fluid? Or does it just need to provide a physical barrier, e.g., splash protection?

Yeah it is just for splash protection.

If it's just splash protection, something set up like opposing paint brushes might work out pretty well. You see guards like that on the lever-style emergency brakes of some cars. You're a bit below the melting point of Aluminum, so it might be an option. Problem is, you're going to be hard-pressed to find a good metal that won't oxidize over time, if this is in an oxygen-containing environment. 500C is hot, and a lot of things are mobile at that temp.

What about a movable seal? In the drawing you have, it specifies that the seal be a stationary thing. Does it have to be? I think it would be much easier to have the seal move along with your object, if it's guarding something behind it. It just depends on the other parts of your design spec.