High voltage and high amperage

In summary, if you take a high amperage supply from a transformer, current will flow a certain way in a conductor, and you will have high amperage and high voltage.
reddevil2576
What happens if you take a high amperage supply from a transformer so that current was forced to flow a certain way in a conductor and you arc a high voltage supply over to this conductor also would you have high amperage and high voltage?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you have the cart in front of the horse here, reddevil.

The current that will pass through a load depends upon the resistance of the load and the volts applied to it. It does not set itself.

Current = Volts ÷ Resistance

Power supplies are designed to supply a particular Voltage. The current rating of a power supply just gives an indication of the maximum current that it can supply. i.e. you present it with a low enough load resistance) without overheating or exploding (lol: there is usually plenty in hand). The only way to 'insist' on a certain current flowing is to set the supply volts appropriately.

Pedant Alert . If another contributor to this thread starts to talk about 'constant current supplies', it is true that they exist but it's not relevant to what you will buy in a shop or what you see in everyday life. Batteries and mains transformers are what you are referring to and they are 'Voltage Sources'.

k i was wondering i don't even know why i thought that I've taken electricity classes before i knew that. What would happen if you did that though it wouldn't make any difference it would just disappear or what? I'm wondering because I want to make a new kind of coil gun instead of using a charging bank I don't care if this idea is taken i have actually a bunch of ideas I'm going to be building soon i finally got my cnc I have posted on here before and my idea just got deleted so here is maybe a bit more logical one for you guys. What i want to do is use a high voltage supply and what I'm going to do instead of winding wire around a core I'm going to get a fourth axis for my cnc and build a different kind of coil. i don't remember what they are called they were invented in the earlier 1900s but didn't realize how strong they where until a few years ago. A normal electromagnet made from ordinary copper wire can have a magnetic field up to 1.5t the strongest superconductor is 20t but you take a flat piece of copper so to speak and spiral it around a core where the wire is still flat you can get one with 40t what I'm going to do is take a solid piece of copper and machine a coil so its one solid piece no weak spots from me heating it and bending it and giving it hot spots in the coil and all that good stuff. then I'm going to take a high voltage supply and instead of charging capacitors with a AA or something like that what I'm going to do is right next to where the projectile will be loaded into the coil there will be a spot where electricity can arc from one electrode to the projectile to the other electrode and supply high voltage to the coil so that instead of just a quick zap like you get from a capacitor bank now this is where you need to picture it in your head. if the projectile is half the size of the coil when the projectile just starts to get to the center just touches it not actually in the middle of it it turns off so its actually got power maybe 38% of the time its inside of that coil instead of just a quick zap and with the potential of a 40t field instead of the little 1.5t i don't know just seems like a freaking fabulous idea. i was wondering what high voltage and high amperage would do but your right i don't know what i was thinking there. And no I'm not building a weapon of mass destruction. I'm building a perpetual motion machine with this its not going to be a gun and no I'm not going to explain how it works I've posted it on here before emailed lots of physics people half the people say it won't work half the people say it just might. no one could give me a reason besides it breaks the laws of physics. i can explain how it works with todays physics but that idea is the one I'm going to keep for myself until i build it all of the other ones I'm going to give away soon I'm going to show you guys how to build a good functioning hho generator to run a car on oh yeah and with no gas.

1. What is considered high voltage and high amperage?

High voltage is typically any voltage above 1000 volts while high amperage is generally considered to be above 100 amps.

2. What are the potential dangers of working with high voltage and high amperage?

The main danger of working with high voltage and high amperage is the risk of electric shock, which can lead to serious injury or even death. Additionally, these levels of electricity can also cause fires and damage to equipment if proper precautions are not taken.

3. What types of equipment or applications require high voltage and high amperage?

High voltage and high amperage are often required in industrial and commercial settings for tasks such as welding, powering large machinery, and high-powered electrical systems. They may also be used in research and development for experiments and testing.

4. How is high voltage and high amperage measured and controlled?

High voltage and high amperage are measured using specialized equipment such as voltmeters and ammeters. They can be controlled through various methods such as transformers, circuit breakers, and fuses.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when working with high voltage and high amperage?

When working with high voltage and high amperage, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, follow safety protocols and procedures, and ensure that all equipment is properly grounded. It is also important to have a thorough understanding of the equipment and potential hazards before beginning work.