Where Can I Find a High Voltage DC 30kv - 40kv Generator for My Experiment?

In summary, the conversation revolves around someone trying to carry out an experiment that requires a high voltage supply. They are looking for a 40kv DC adjustable generator, but are having trouble finding one at a low cost. Some suggestions are made, including using a bug zapper or contacting someone on the dark web who claims they can sell one for $20k. The conversation also touches on the danger of working with high voltage and the importance of being well-trained. Ultimately, the original poster decides to drop the topic and the conversation is closed.
Niki
Hi all

Trying to carry out an experiment and need a high voltage supply
Looking for say upto 40kv dc adjustable generator been looking on the net and only able to find low cost voltage boosters on eBay

Or if anyone know of a good website to try

Any help would be much apreciated

Thanks...Niki

Physics news on Phys.org
How much power do you require? What are you trying to accomplish?

High voltage by itself can be safe. For example, battery powered bug zappers. Indeed, one of those bug zappers may provide what you need for your experiment.

But high voltage plus significant current capabilities can be lethal. Only well trained people should work with it.

Niki said:
Trying to carry out an experiment and need a high voltage supply
Looking for say upto 40kv dc adjustable generator been looking on the net and only able to find low cost voltage boosters on eBay

Or if anyone know of a good website to try
I can sell you one for about 20k USD. Contact me at berkeman on the darkweb. Thanks.

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, Doc Al and anorlunda
anorlunda said:
How much power do you require? What are you trying to accomplish?

High voltage by itself can be safe. For example, battery powered bug zappers. Indeed, one of those bug zappers may provide what you need for your experiment.

But high voltage plus significant current capabilities can be lethal. Only well trained people should work with it.
It’s an experiment to show the effects of electrostatics so will only be using low amperage I’m quite aware that high voltage and current would be leathal, so I won’t stick the electrodes on my tongue thumbs up for the advice.

If I wanted to buy a bug zapper and butcher it to bits for parts I would get one, the description in the post is variable high voltage dc upto 40kv

Waste of time post thanks

j

berkeman said:
I can sell you one for about 20k USD. Contact me at berkeman on the darkweb. Thanks.
Is that where you bought that bannana bike from?

Once again someone who wants to leave a post with no knowlege

• Skeptical
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Niki said:
Once again someone who wants to leave a post with no knowlege
You got replies from two professional electrical engineers, at least one of them working with high voltage systems... and you didn't answer the question about the power (or current) you are interested in.

If the bug zapper has sufficient voltage you can add a voltage divider to make it adjustable.

mfb said:
You got replies from two professional electrical engineers, at least one of them working with high voltage systems... and you didn't answer the question about the power (or current) you are interested in.

If the bug zapper has sufficient voltage you can add a voltage divider to make it adjustable.
Yes a bug zapper may have the required voltage but that’s not what I need!

Forget it obviously no one knows where to get such a device on here

The OP says his question is answered. Thread closed.

Likes Wrichik Basu and berkeman

1. What is high voltage DC 30kv - 40kv?

High voltage DC 30kv - 40kv refers to a direct current (DC) electrical system that operates at a voltage range of 30,000 to 40,000 volts. This type of high voltage is typically used in industrial and scientific applications, such as power transmission, electrostatic precipitation, and particle accelerators.

2. How is high voltage DC 30kv - 40kv different from AC voltage?

High voltage DC 30kv - 40kv differs from alternating current (AC) voltage in that it maintains a constant polarity and direction of flow, while AC voltage switches direction periodically. This makes high voltage DC more suitable for certain applications, such as long distance power transmission, where energy loss is reduced.

3. What are the potential dangers of working with high voltage DC 30kv - 40kv?

Working with high voltage DC 30kv - 40kv can be extremely dangerous and potentially fatal. The high voltage can cause electric shock, burns, and even death. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate protective equipment when working with high voltage DC.

4. How is high voltage DC 30kv - 40kv generated?

High voltage DC 30kv - 40kv can be generated through various methods, such as using a transformer to step up the voltage, or using a high voltage power supply. It can also be created through the conversion of AC voltage using a rectifier circuit.

5. What are the applications of high voltage DC 30kv - 40kv?

High voltage DC 30kv - 40kv has various applications in industry and science. It is commonly used in power transmission, electrostatic precipitation, and particle accelerators. It is also used in certain medical procedures, such as electrotherapy, and in some electronic devices, such as cathode ray tubes and lasers.