High Voltage Power Supply

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hey all, I've got a high voltage power supply that I need some sort of connector for. It's a 40kv 15ma output and the connector screws in over a hole that leads to an enclosed plastic tube with a metal rod about halfway down. Are these standard connectors or do i need to do something crazy to get one?

Answers and Replies

standard? best i can remember, they are all over the place.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
standard? best i can remember, they are all over the place.
I havn't dealt with high voltage before. What do you mean by all over the place? Should there be a high voltage store somewhere around town I can go to? Or do I need to order online?

I havn't dealt with high voltage before. What do you mean by all over the place? Should there be a high voltage store somewhere around town I can go to? Or do I need to order online?
yeah, i mean like there's all kinds. http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catalog/menu/en/12153

i haven't done a lot of HV work, just built a precision voltage divider for HV test set a few years back. honestly, it is a bit of a pain in the arse. most of the connectors aren't like those coax connectors above at all. typically, they're plastic. you've got to use special connectors, special wire, and keep everything clean. no sharp edges on any conductors, etc. what you've got will arc and is more than enough to kill you, so you'll need to be very careful with it. we had one tech at the time that did get electrocuted, and he was rather upset about it for a while. stuff leaks, so try not to get killed.

anyhoo, not sure the best way. it would help if you had a parts list and could track it down that way. if you had access to an assortment, you could just try out different ones maybe. all ours was MIL, so it wasn't really a problem finding exact matches. usually.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Awesome! Thanks guys!