High Voltage Salvage: Extracting Safely from Old CRT Monitor

In summary, the person is asking about extracting a high voltage system from an old CRT monitor they found in their basement. They mention potentially needing to replace some parts, but it is unclear if they will be able to do so safely. The conversation ends with a moderator locking the thread.
beatlemaniacj
I need a high voltage system (Why you ask! Just for that I am not telling you why!). The potential gold mine that I found in my basement is... an old CRT monitor! Great! Will I and if so how will I be able to extract a high voltage system from it SAFELY. It is very old so I may need to replace some of the caps and such but I know how to buy/make them.

Engineering news on Phys.org
beatlemaniacj said:
I need a high voltage system (Why you ask! Just for that I am not telling you why!). The potential gold mine that I found in my basement is... an old CRT monitor! Great! Will I and if so how will I be able to extract a high voltage system from it SAFELY. It is very old so I may need to replace some of the caps and such but I know how to buy/make them.

If you have to ask, then it cannot be done safely. Thread locked.

1. What is high voltage salvage?

High voltage salvage is the process of safely extracting components, particularly capacitors, from old CRT (cathode ray tube) monitors. These components can then be repurposed or recycled.

2. Why is it important to extract safely from old CRT monitors?

Old CRT monitors contain high levels of voltage, which can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is important to extract these components safely to avoid electrocution or other hazards.

3. What equipment is needed for high voltage salvage?

To safely extract components from old CRT monitors, you will need a grounding strap, insulated gloves, a soldering iron, and a discharge tool. It is also recommended to have a fire extinguisher nearby in case of emergencies.

4. How do you safely discharge a CRT monitor?

To safely discharge a CRT monitor, you will need a discharge tool. This tool has a metal prong that is inserted into the monitor's anode cap, which releases any remaining voltage. It is important to discharge the monitor before attempting to remove any components.

5. Can all components be salvaged from old CRT monitors?

No, not all components from old CRT monitors can be salvaged. Some components, such as the tube and yoke, contain hazardous materials and should be disposed of properly. It is important to research and understand which components can be safely salvaged before beginning the process.