High Voltage Shielding: Choosing the Right Coaxial Cable for 6 kV Applications

In summary, Bob Shello needs to transport high voltage using a coaxial cable rated at 6kV. Suggestions were given to use specialized HV coax or RG-8, which is rated at 5kV. The safety of using RG-8 for 6kV was questioned and the thread was closed.
Ravaner
hello. I need to use a "coaxial" câble with 6 kV on axial wire. May I use a TV coaxial wire ? Will it be able to support such voltage. Anyway I must transport this HV and it must be shielded. A suggestion ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would use RG-8. See http://www.hyperline.com/catalog/cable/rg8.shtml

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravaner said:
hello. I need to use a "coaxial" câble with 6 kV on axial wire. May I use a TV coaxial wire ? Will it be able to support such voltage. Anyway I must transport this HV and it must be shielded. A suggestion ?

You will need to use specialized HV coax. Here is a hit list from a google search on High Voltage Coaxial Cable:

http://www.google.com/search?source...able&gs_upl=0l0l0l5694lllllllllll0&aqi=g4g-v1

Bob S said:
I would use RG-8. See http://www.hyperline.com/catalog/cable/rg8.shtml

Bob S

Looks like that cable is rated at 5kV, which is still higher than I expected. The OP wants 6kV (plus some margin I would imagine...).

Last edited by a moderator:
How thick can the cable be to be? How long? What frequencies do you need? What currents? RG-218 should withstand 11kV but is almost an inch thick. I have seen x-ray cable that is much thinner, but there is hardly any current flowing through it.

Check RG59, I believe it's the tv cable. We use it to 5KV before. Insulation is about 400V/mil, give a big safety factor...say 150V/mil, you need 40mil insulation. So if the insulation thickness of the center wire is 40mils or over, it should be ok.

It is the connector that you have to worry about, use SHV connector. In HV, creepage distance is much more important than insulation thickness. Double check, but I believe you are out of the MHV connector safety range.

Thanks for replies. It's a DC high voltage, may be RG8 will be ok.

Ravaner said:
Thanks for replies. It's a DC high voltage, may be RG8 will be ok.

"Maybe"? 6kV in 5kV max rated cable? "Maybe"?

This thread is closed. If you want it re-opened, you need to PM me with why your approach is not dangerous.

1. What is the purpose of high voltage shielding in coaxial cables?

The purpose of high voltage shielding in coaxial cables is to protect against electrical interference and to ensure that the signal remains strong and stable. This is especially important in 6 kV applications where the voltage is high and can cause signal degradation.

2. What factors should be considered when choosing a coaxial cable for 6 kV applications?

When choosing a coaxial cable for 6 kV applications, it is important to consider the insulation material, the cable's voltage rating, and the shielding effectiveness. The insulation material should be able to withstand high voltages without breaking down, and the voltage rating should be at least 6 kV to ensure safety. The shielding effectiveness should also be high to reduce interference.

3. How does the shielding material affect the performance of a coaxial cable in high voltage applications?

The shielding material plays a crucial role in the performance of a coaxial cable in high voltage applications. It helps to reduce electrical interference and ensures that the signal remains strong and stable. A high-quality shielding material will have a higher shielding effectiveness, which is essential for maintaining signal integrity in 6 kV applications.

4. Are there any specific standards for high voltage shielding in coaxial cables?

Yes, there are specific standards for high voltage shielding in coaxial cables, such as the MIL-DTL-17 standard, which specifies the requirements for coaxial cables used in military applications. Other standards, such as the ANSI/UL 444 and IEC 60502-1, also provide guidelines for the design and testing of high voltage coaxial cables.

5. Can standard coaxial cables be used in 6 kV applications?

No, standard coaxial cables are not suitable for 6 kV applications as they do not have the necessary insulation and shielding properties. Specialized high voltage coaxial cables must be used to ensure safety and proper signal transmission in 6 kV applications. It is important to consult with a professional to select the appropriate coaxial cable for your specific application.