Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High Voltage shielding

1. Mar 15, 2012 #1
    hello. I need to use a "coaxial" câble with 6 kV on axial wire. May I use a TV coaxial wire ? Will it be able to support such voltage. Anyway I must transport this HV and it must be shielded. A suggestion ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2012 #2
    I would use RG-8. See http://www.hyperline.com/catalog/cable/rg8.shtml [Broken]

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Mar 15, 2012 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You will need to use specialized HV coax. Here is a hit list from a google search on High Voltage Coaxial Cable:

http://www.google.com/search?source...able&gs_upl=0l0l0l5694lllllllllll0&aqi=g4g-v1

5. Mar 15, 2012 #4

berkeman

Looks like that cable is rated at 5kV, which is still higher than I expected. The OP wants 6kV (plus some margin I would imagine...).

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Mar 15, 2012 #5
    How thick can the cable be to be? How long? What frequencies do you need? What currents? RG-218 should withstand 11kV but is almost an inch thick. I have seen x-ray cable that is much thinner, but there is hardly any current flowing through it.

7. Mar 15, 2012 #6
    Check RG59, I believe it's the tv cable. We use it to 5KV before. Insulation is about 400V/mil, give a big safety factor......say 150V/mil, you need 40mil insulation. So if the insulation thickness of the center wire is 40mils or over, it should be ok.

It is the connector that you have to worry about, use SHV connector. In HV, creepage distance is much more important than insulation thickness. Double check, but I believe you are out of the MHV connector safety range.

8. Mar 15, 2012 #7
    Thanks for replies. It's a DC high voltage, may be RG8 will be ok.

9. Mar 15, 2012 #8

berkeman

"Maybe"? 6kV in 5kV max rated cable? "Maybe"?

This thread is closed. If you want it re-opened, you need to PM me with why your approach is not dangerous.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook