Solving Higher Order ODEs: y''''''+y'''=t

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation involving the 6th derivative of a function and a linear term. The speaker has found the roots and solved the homogeneous equation, but is unsure how to proceed with the particular solution. Different methods, such as guessing a 7th degree polynomial or using the substitution method, are suggested. The conversation ends with a clarification on the degree of the particular solution.
mshiddensecret

Homework Statement

y''''''+y'''=t

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got all the roots and solved the homo eq.

Then I tried to guess the partial eq and got At+B

However, I don't know how to proceed because the 6th derivative or the 3rd would be 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
mshiddensecret said:

Homework Statement

y''''''+y'''=t

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got all the roots and solved the homo eq.

Then I tried to guess the partial eq and got At+B

I think you mean, you tried to guess the particular solution and got At + B

However, I don't know how to proceed because the 6th derivative or the 3rd would be 0.

It's not clear why you guessed yp = At + B, since the highest order derivative is 6. This implies that yp should be a 7th degree polynomial.

You don't need a 7th degree polynomial for ##y_p## for this problem. Try ##y_p = Ct^4##.

Mod note: removed a quote that was too much help.

You can also let ##z(t) = y'''(t)## and write the DE as ##(z(t) - t)''' + (z(t)-t) = 0##, which is homogeneous of degree 3 in ##z(t)-t##. After finding ##z(t)##, integrating three times (with constants of integration included) will get ##y(t)##.

Last edited by a moderator:
SteamKing said:
I think you mean, you tried to guess the particular solution and got At + B
It's not clear why you guessed yp = At + B, since the highest order derivative is 6. This implies that yp should be a 7th degree polynomial.
It only implies the general solution will be of degree 5, no? The degree of the particular solution will often be the sum of the least degree of differentiation and the highest degree of the polynomial on the other side of the equation. In this case, 3+1=4.

1. What is a higher order ODE?

A higher order ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves derivatives of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable. These derivatives can be of any order, such as y', y'', y''', etc.

2. How do you solve higher order ODEs?

To solve higher order ODEs, you can use a variety of methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, or Laplace transform. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the highest order derivative and then finding a solution for the dependent variable.

3. What is the meaning of y''''''+y'''=t as a higher order ODE?

This equation is a 6th order ODE, meaning it involves the 6th derivative of the dependent variable. The equation states that the sum of the 6th derivative and the 3rd derivative of the dependent variable is equal to the independent variable, t.

4. What are some real-life applications of solving higher order ODEs?

Higher order ODEs are used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the motion of a spring, the growth of a population, or the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in control systems and signal processing.

5. Can all higher order ODEs be solved analytically?

No, not all higher order ODEs have analytical solutions. Some equations require numerical methods to approximate a solution, especially for complex or nonlinear equations. Additionally, some equations may not have a closed-form solution at all.